Haunting Halloween

Chapter 11:

Margo and I stud in front of the mirror smiling, satisfied with our costumes. I’ve never been really big on Halloween that was more of Andy’s thing. When we were kids we’d always go out trick or treating together. I’ve always had bad experiences with Halloween and almost every costume I would wear I felt uncomfortable in. Especially when girls started to wear slutty costumes and I just became the girl in the back, but I’ve accepted that. I’m not the kind of girl that feels like she needs to show off her body in order to get a guy, it’s not the right way to find a good boyfriend. I also never been a big fan of most of the decorations, some are awesome but just some… aren’t very enjoyable to look at. I never go to those fake haunted houses either. They freak me out to much. Not even Andy could drag me there no matter what.

My worse Halloween so far was when I was five years old and Andy was seven. Andy and I were walking around the neighborhood running in front of our parents about to run in a race.

“I bet you can’t beat me. I’m Spiderman you’re just Dorothy” Andy taunted that night trying out his Spiderman moves pulling his mask over his face.

I look down at my sparkly red shoes and play with the braids in my hair that my mom had to redo minutes before because Andy messed them up.

“I got magic shoes!”

“I got spider powers!”

“I’m prettier!”

“I’m older!”  he said sticking his tongue out at me and cheated by starting the race without warning me.

“No fair!” I yelled try to caught up to him.

“Don’t go too far!” his mom had yelled, but I was to determined to caught up to him to pay attention to what she was saying. At some point Andy disappeared behind a dark corner behind a wall around to someone’s dark house. “Andy?! Where did you go?!”

….silence filled the dark cold street. All the houses around me were dark and I had a sick feeling in my stomach as my fear increased. I would run my way back to our parents but I wasn’t going to leave without Andy. Even if he was older than me, but I will never leave with out him.

So in my favorite glittery red shoes I search for him and soon started crying, out of fear of never finding him.

“Andy?! Come back to me!”

As I walked around feeling colder with every step I took, I spotted a group of older boys running around laughing in scary masks I started to walk faster.

“BOO!” one yelled right in my face surprising me. I screamed as loud as I could and started running.

As I ran in the middle of the road putting myself a good distance between me and the strange boys in scary masts, I twisted my ankle. I held my foot close to my body crying out of fear and pain.

That’s when Andy appeared from behind some bush. “Vicki! Are you okay?! I didn’t think I’d scare you that bad. Those stupid older boys… are you okay? Can you walk?”  I look into his dark brown worried guilty eyes and put my arms around his neck in a tight hug trying to control my sobs.

“You came back to me…my foot hurts so bad Andy” I whispered.

And so that night Andy carried me all the way down that dark neighborhood back to are very worried and angry parents.

“These costumes are perfect” Margo beamed as she adjusted her hat.

“Oh yes, very perfect” I agreed drawing on my own fake mustache.