38. {finding mason}

Start from the beginning

"we don't need them to find mason." tracy shook her head.

"but you'll need them if you want mason to trust you." deucalion stated.

"i can't take the power from him, can i?" theo queried.

deucalion shook his head. "no. only the beast. but, since the full moon is getting dangerously close, the opportunity might present itself sooner than you think."

"good."

"as soon as you see that opportunity, take it." deucalion demanded. "if scott figures out a way to save mason, you won't get another."

"but you've seen that thing up close. how are we supposed to stop him when he's the beast?" tracy groaned in frustration.

"you're not going to stop him- you're going to paralyze him." theo instructed.

tracy looked at him with exasperation and incredulity. "me?"

"i mean you're the only scaley lizard out of us." dark moonee shrugged.

"exactly." xan nodded.

"kanima." tracy hissed at them before turning back to theo. "are you serious? it didn't work on parrish!"

deucalion grabbed her by the wrist and forced her to flick her claws out. "it didn't work on a hellhound. the beast is still a werewolf. just keep the tanks full, tracy. we'll need all you've got."

tracy glared at him and yanked her arm out of his grip.

"and you, moonee." deucalion turned to her. "the elementum."

"yes?"

"you're the closest thing to a hellhound we've got-" deucalion began.

tracy scoffed. "barely. she nearly exploded when that fire touched her. you heard her cries, theo."

"it wasn't a cry of pain." theo began.

"uh, yes it was." dark moonee cut him off.

"no, it was your body accepting and unlocking your fire abilities." xan informed her.

"so what, she's half hellhound?" tracy asked.

"no, idiot." dark moonee rolled her eyes. "i'd be a quater hellhound if it worked like that. but it doesn't."

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

theo had dark moonee tag along as he, scott and liam went to look for mason. the two eldest were leading the hunting party while liam, who knows mason's scent best, followed behind.

"where is he?" scott spoke up.

theo chose to play dumb, "i thought we were looking for him?"

"you know who i'm talking about." scott sighed.

"deucalion?"

"you shouldn't trust him." scott stated before turning to face his sister. "you know that more than anyone."

dark moonee rolled her eyes. "mhm. how many times do i have to tell you before it gets into your thick skull? i am not the moonee you once knew, okay?"

scott looked at her, his face broken, "okay." he nodded.

"and you're the one who let him live." theo reminded the boy, pulling him out of his sappy trance.

"i'm not a murderer." scott scoffed, his attention shifting to theo once again.

theo didn't believe him. "you still think you're gonna get through this without killing anyone?"

"i didn't say that."