Return to prosperity | Thorin

Oookay, I'm doing it again, yess, this oneshot is going to be in Middle Earth because I LOVE the idea and I needed to write this.

I hope you like this oneshot. It's inspired by this song. Here it goes.

Dwalin was slowly approaching the king's throne with a scroll in his hands. The whole company, Gandalf, all the dwarves of Erebor, the people of Laketown, were present at the ceremony, in the great kingdom under the mountain, and Thorin, in his elegant clothes accompanied from behind by his nephews Fili and Kili, was slowly approaching the throne as well once Dwalin stopped.

The bald dwarf then waited for his king to position himself just in front of him, a few meters away, to proceed to read the scroll. And once Thorin got close enough, both he and Fili and Kili stopped.

At that moment, Dwalin opened the scroll, letting tiny particles of dust fall. And, after clearing his throat, he proceeded to read:

"The king beneath the mountains, the king of carved stone, the lord of silver fountains shall come into his own.

His crown shall be upholden, his harp shall be restrung, his halls shall echo golden to songs of yore re-sung.

The woods shall wave on mountains, and grass beneath the sun. His wealth shall flow in fountains, and the rivers golden run.

The streams shall run in gladness, the lakes shall shine and burn all sorrow, fail and sadness at the mountain-king's return."

And then a curtain of pale, whitish light broke through the great kingdom, falling just above the king under the mountain, who looked at it full of surprise and satisfaction, feeling joy in his being. He closed his eyes and Dwalin, once again, gently placed the crown on Thorin's head, but this time all curses had been eradicated, and neither gold, nor stones, nor dragons, nor unnecessary wars and nor orcs would be able to snatch the peace that Erebor needed.

It was at that very moment that Fili and Kili decided to bow to their uncle, to their king, and all the others followed, bowing to receive the king under the mountain, the one who was waiting so longed to return home and to reclaim it.

The king's big blue eyes slowly opened even as the rest kept their closed. And finally Thorin smiled, a smile that denoted happiness, peace and well-being, far from any uncertainty. He looked at his nephews, who were still bowing at his mercy, and decided to put his hands on their shoulders.

"Stand up, my dear nephews, and welcome to your home, truly now, free from all those nightmares that have plagued us for so long," he said in a powerful tone of voice audible even in the farthest reaches of the realm, making everyone stand up.

The king approached Fili and, with a smile, placed his hand on the dwarf's head and looked at him with a smile full of happiness and pride.

"My dear nephew, Fili, you will wear this modest tiara as heir to the throne that you are, Prince of Erebor," Thorin said as he allowed Dwalin to approach the blond dwarf to place a small silver crown bearing blue sapphire stones that sparkled with the lights that were in Erebor.

"And for you, Kili, you will wear this tiara of bronze with fine rubies that will highlight the brightness of your brown eyes, just like your father's, may Durin have him in his glory," Thorin commented as he placed the crown on the head of the brown-haired dwarf.

And once all this was done, Thorin decided to turn around, this time to reach his throne sanely.

He placed his right hand on the chair that days ago held him in sadness, madness, anger and disdain, and directed his gaze up, contemplating with wide open eyes and with a certain respect the hole in which the arkenstone should be positioned.

He put his left hand between his clothes to be able to take the stone that shone brightly, and a slight headache appeared in his head, causing him to complain silently, trying not to be noticed. With much effort, he reached up to place the arkenstone in its place.

Once he released it, he felt a tingle in his fingers and heaved a sigh of relief; the stone would never take over his being again. He closed his eyes and lowered his head slowly to calm down and not dwell on what had once happened. Thorin then turned to look at his people and the people of Laketown, and then proceeded to sit on his throne, resting his arms on the armrest of the throne and again letting a curtain of pale white light descend to settle on the new king under the mountain, who looked from that position at everything around him; the time had finally come for his kingdom to prosper.

Then, songs of male voices began to be heard; the company began to sing the words that Dwalin had read before crowning Thorin, all in tune, and when they were about to repeat the song, the rest of the dwarves who were there joined, praising the king in his maximum splendor, who looked with pride to his people sitting on his throne and thinking about the new times that would happen for the dwarves of Erebor.

And everything was filled with happiness and joy for the dwarfs; and all misfortune vanished from each one of the corridors and other places of the kingdom; and with the songs of the dwarves, all assembled in the great hall, Erebor was cleansed of all curses and evil.

The silver fountains began to expel incandescent gold, and they formed rivers of said metal that ran through all the rooms of the kingdom, illuminating everything they touched with their precious light. And the dwarfs were amazed to see such a splendid spectacle. Parties were held, and the songs, now more homely and festive, took over the place, clean of all evil.

*****

The mines of Erebor shone again and thousands of dwarves returned to work in them to extract their precious jewels, despite already having the innumerable riches in which Durin's people rejoiced. And the king, now at night, was in the beacons with his nephews contemplating Dale and the outskirts of Erebor, seeing that the stars of the firmament shone brighter, as if they were dancing with joy at the news, the long-awaited recovery of Erebor.

The people of Dale were also rebuilding their lives too destroyed in times that are now past. And Thorin smiled again, but now with peace inside of him.

"I made it father, grandfather. I managed to resume our life of yesteryear," he said in a whisper looking up at the stars once the two princes heeded Balin's call and left Thorin alone. "I am sorry that you have not been able to experience and see with your eyes this moment, our victory, but at least I hope that you can feel proud of what I have done, of what we have done, together."

A couple of tears came out of his eyes without being able to remove the smile from his face and, after spending a few minutes admiring the place, he decided to turn around to go back into his kingdom. He only lacked one thing: a woman to love and be reciprocated. But the insecurity he felt about it would keep it inside him, without showing it to anyone.

And it is that he would continue his life alone, reigning alone, until, by Aulë's designs, a woman crosses his path to make her queen under the mountain. And, who knows, maybe she could be closer than he expects.