ch-20 meet and greet

Taehyung's pov

Jungkook walks by my side in silence, keen eyes taking in the beach and the boardwalk. It's not a long walk from the cottage to my parents' house on the other end of Ocean Drive, and I know it's not what he's there for, but I want to show him Paradise Seaside.

"So," I say finally. "What's the verdict?"

He glances up at me with intelligent eyes, tucking long hair behind an ear. "On what?"

"This place," I suggest, "or my brother. Take your pick."

"You know that's an impossible question."

"Is it?"

"Yes. You're fishing for compliments, I can tell. And if I refuse, I'm rude, but if I give in, you won't know if they're genuine."

I snort. "Maybe I'm just making conversation."

"Mhm. In that case, we can talk about all kinds of things." He turns and walks backward, ahead of me, his shoes in one hand. I've slipped off my own as well, and the sand is warm under my feet.

The summer air has gone to my head, because here with him, it's easy to imagine a different reality. One where he's actually mine-where we walk on the beach most days.

"What things?" I ask.

"You want me to pick a conversation topic? That can be dangerous."

I snort again. "I'm well aware. Maybe we could have a mature discussion about our mutual attraction."

He pretends to consider that for a bit. "Maybe not. Maybe we can talk about you."

"Again? You're turning me into a narcissist."

"You own a firm with your last name in the title. I'd say that ship has pretty much sailed."

"That's an excellent topic," I say. "Ships."

He shakes his head, but his eyes are amused. "That's not what I meant."

"No, but it's what we should talk about. My family sails a lot, and we have a sailing boat here."

"Of course you do," he says, rolling his eyes. "What's next? You're related to the Jack Sparrow?"

I wave a hand. "Second cousins, but that's not important. Let's go sailing this weekend. I'll take you out. Have you ever been?"

His eyes widen. "You can't be serious."

"I am. Let me take you sailing."

"No, Taehyung-sshi, about the jack thing."

"That was a joke,

He returns to my side. "You want to go sailing?"

"It's summer. Why not?" And, I think, because it gives me more time with you. Time with him away from the strict confines of the office, where the title of assistant and boss don't hang around our necks like blaring neon signs.

"I've never been sailing."

"I'll teach you," I say. I'll never tire of it-the wind against my skin, the feeling of rope running painfully through my hands. It's been too long.

Jungkook bites his full lip, reminding me of how sweet he tastes, and I have to look away before I lose yet another point in our imaginary game. "It'll take us away from the project," he says.

"For a few hours, yes. But I think both of us work hard enough to deserve a weekend with a bit of fun mixed in."

He shakes his head, his glossy mass of hair shimmering in the sun. "Who are you, and what have you done with Kim Taehyung?"