Chapter 2: Late Nights

Hours passed as we gutted and carved the deer. It would've gone quicker, but we didn't have the best tools.

I huffed out a sigh, sitting back against a wall. I was up to my elbows in blood and meat. Daryl was the same.

"I forgot how gross this is." Daryl mumbled, breaking the silence.

"Me too." I stood back up. I walked towards the large sink, washing off my arms. Daryl joined in, cleaning his arms of deer blood.

We walked out together, realising how dark it was out now. Most were huddled together inside or sleeping. I shivered as the icy wind hit me, rolling down my sleeves.

I walked out to look around. There was a small fire not far. With nothing more said, Daryl walked towards it. He turned to glance at me, seeming to be waiting.

I followed after him. Laid on the ground was a mix of wood, sticks, and other flammable junk.

"I assume you found something if you were gone for that long?" A familiar voice spoke. Within the soft light of the fire, I saw Rick.

"Yea, just a deer. It was already weak." I looked amongst the rest. Carol, Glenn, Maggie, and Beth sat around the fire with Rick.

"Why don't you come sit?" Glenn invited, sitting back on his hands.

"Heh, guess I got time." I walked closer, sitting down by the fire as Daryl sat as well.

We spent the next bit chatting, eating, and just trying to relax. One by one, people left until it was Daryl and I. Although nothing was said, it was knowledgeable between us both to leave. It was late and most were asleep. He left before me. Leaving me to put out the fire.

Once done, I walked back inside and to the cell that was now my home. I grabbed the journal off my desk along with a pen.

I was able to go out for a while. Took Dutch out to the forest to try and find food.

Managed to find a deer. It was pretty weak and far from walkers. I was an idiot. Missed a clean shot, and it drew a bunch near. Still got it killed and hauled back.

Daryl helped skin and gut it. I'm not sure how to feel about him. He's a handsome guy.

I sighed, scribbling out the last bit. I threw the journal off to the desk, missing. I didn't bother picking it up. I got dressed into something a bit more comfy and crashed into bed.

The next morning seemed to come so fast.

I awoke to the feeling of something suddenly falling on my chest. I jolted awake a bit, almost hitting my head on the bunk above me. Hearing a chuckle to my right, I looked over.

"Come on, we're on morning duty. Meet me by the front gate." Daryl spoke bluntly. Before I could respond, he had walked off.

I sighed, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes as I stood. The boot that he had thrown at me falling off and onto the ground below me. I closed the curtain to my cell room again.

I undressed from my night clothes. Putting on fresh underwear and pants. I slipped a long-sleeved shirt over my bare torso.

Sitting back on the bed, I grabbed the one boot that laid on the floor, putting it on along with the other estranged one. I grabbed the spurs from a bag, taking a few minutes to put them together.

After they were tightly secured, I stood with a grunt. Grabbing my coat and pushing the curtain aside to leave. I fit my arms through as I threw it over my shoulder. There weren't many people out at this time. Think it was close to 5am.