

𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚋𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚔 𝚌𝚕𝚞𝚋 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚘𝚕𝚍 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚜

the first place valerie ran was to her and sam's spot. only she didn't find sam there.

imagine her surprise when she sees an angry leah clearwater kicking the sand of la push beach. she didn't think leah would willingly come this close to sam or emily.

"rough night?"

"rough few months," leah replied, not even realizing who she was really speaking to. while valerie knew the elders were not the most comfortable having her on their territory, she risked it every now and then to visit sam. she knew leah wouldn't be able to remember their first encounter, as valerie's compulsion wouldn't wear off unless she died. but she was fine with that. sam must be out patrolling or something.

"you ever been in love blondie?"

valerie didn't know what to respond. she was a stranger to leah. she compelled away their first and only encounter to protect her and seth. despite the repercussions it could have.

"why?" was all the blonde could ask. she had been in love exactly two times, but she was unaware of that these were the only two times.

valerie has been with many people and loves way to quickly. but in love? only twice.

"because i wanna know if it should hurt this much." leah responds.

valerie glances toward sam's cabin off of the beach and sees in the window that dinner is being prepared. sam is hugging emily from behind as she chops vegetables while another family, who she recognizes as the clearwaters, sit around the kitchen table. for a split second valerie forgot that sam, leah's ex-fiancé, imprinted on her cousin.

fuck, i'm not the only one having issues, she thinks.

"you're sam's friend aren't you. a cullen?" leah slurred. it was clear that the discarded wine bottle had been hers. "aren't you not allowed to be here?" leah is referencing the treaty.

"the elders made an exception. mainly harry and billy, but only cadence and i can come onto the land." she knows why she is allowed, but is unaware why cadence was accepted onto la push.

"right..." leah nods but clearly hasn't processed what valerie said. "you never answered the question."

is love supposed to hurt this much?

"my husband just cheated on me and my sister covered it up and took their side. believe me when i say we are better off." valerie replies. but she isn't truly convinced yet. she can't tell leah about cormac and sofia and all of those issues, despite how much she feels she should. but the edward-wound (a/n edwound lol) was still open and every time she thought of it it felt like salt was being poured into it.