Chapter Seventeen

I couldn't sleep. I had been tossing and turning in bed for hours and I still couldn't shake the feeling of guilt that I had. Alessandro had only been trying to help me and I had been cold towards him because I was in a mood. It was only midday and I was just trying to take a nap so the painkillers would do their job.

I carefully got out of bed and neatened myself up before going downstairs to the kitchen, where I found Sofia cooking. The aroma was incredible and my stomach rumbled at the smell.

"It smells amazing, Sofia. What are you making?" I asked her, taking a seat at the kitchen island.

"A dish from my home country. It's called Ropa Vieja."

I leaned forward and rested my chin on my palm as she began to explain the process of making the dish and the history in her family with it. As I listened along I realised it was coming towards 6 in the evening and Alessandro still hadn't come down to eat.

"Sofia, where is Alessandro?" I asked, sitting up in my seat.

"Oh, he uh- he left earlier today after his meeting. I haven't seen him since."

"What time did he leave?"

"A little after you fell asleep, around 2?"
I was a little confused as to where he had gone but I thought nothing of it and continued to listen to Sophia until she served some of the Ropa Vieja for me and I tried some.

The taste was immaculate and I quickly had some more, praising Sofia for her cooking. I insisted that she sit and eat with me and she did so, comfortable in my presence knowing that Alessandro wasn't around to scold her for 'not doing her job' or whatever excuse he could come up with.

"Here," I said, standing as I took my plate, "Let me just clear my plate up."

"Ay no, give it here. It's my job, let me take it."

"Sofia please, you've done the most you could do, just let me do this one thing."
I began washing the plate despite her protests and eventually she let me do it. Once I was finished, I dried it with the tea towel and put  it away until I heard the front door begin to open.

"Sofia..." A voice slurred.

Is that Alessandro?

"Mr Russo?" She called out. No reply. "I'm just going to go check up on him. You should head up to sleep. Don't fall asleep too early- it's not good if you've just eaten."

I nodded and she disappeared around the corner. I hoped everything was alright but I was still confused. I put the plate away and headed upstairs, hearing no sound from Sofia or Alessandro but I shrugged it off and went into my room.

I looked at the date on my clock and realised I had to do my check-in today so they would be expecting a call.

Just as I was about to call them, a number began to call me on my regular phone.
No one's meant to have this number besides my family and Alessandro's.
Answering the phone, I hesitated to say anything until someone spoke first.

"Chiara, I need... you. Your help..." They slurred.

"Angelo? Is that you?"

"They took her, Chi. Mi hija, Chiara."

His daughter? I didn't know he had a daughter.

"Angelo I'm going to help you okay? Don't you worry. I need to make some calls but I will find your daughter and she's going to be okay, you hear me?" I reassured him.

I hung up him and sent him a message, telling him I was going to get people to help as soon as possible. I jogged down the stairs and headed to the lounging room where I hoped to find some of Alessandro's men.