eleven

i hope y'all are having a better saturday morning than i am. my best friend UNFORTUNATELY announced that taylor played rwylm last night...no i am not okay...🧍‍♀️

not proofread because ✨i stayed there, dust collected in my pinned up hair. they expected me to find somewhere, some perspective, but i sat and stared right where you left me✨

happy readings and stay safe bestie! -salem🤍

TW: angst
word count: 3444

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Emily furrowed her eyebrows as she got up from her desk. She made her way over to the door and opened it. Once she did, Y/n's smile grew.

"Hi," Emily said softly. She took a second and admired the princess. She was still in her meeting outfit: white dress pants, a black blouse, and a forest green blazer.  The blazer had accents of gold on it, which only emphasized the chunky ring on her finger. It looked similar to the one Emily tried on at Lawrence.

Parliament had Y/n running around doing media control, so she had to look her very best. Y/n needed everyone in Nostia to believe that her and Stephen were in love to, hopefully, give Stephen that push to propose. Of course, Y/n didn't want it to happen, but parliament was forcing her to make these appearances so they can make a larger donation to the wedding and coronation. Emily preferred to sit out the event where Y/n admired and praised the duke.

"Hi," Y/n whispered and started to subconsciously play with the ring on her finger. "I—I missed you all day."

"I asked Collin to watch you for the day," Emily said and smiled softly. She could see the happiness fade in Y/n's smile. She hated being away from Emily. "Your grandmother had me running around like a mad woman. At least she and I bonded over lunch."

"Really?" Y/n asked and raised her eyebrows. Emily nodded her head, still not welcoming the princess into her room. "Maybe you can tell me about it."

Emily knew this was a dangerous game. She knew better than to have the princess, a soon-to-be engaged woman who she was very attracted to, in her room. Yet, she still craved to be in the princess's company. She stepped aside and allowed Y/n to enter her room.

"Your grandmother has a lot of interesting stories from her reign. My favorite was the story about the flaming arrow and a unlucky suit of armor, specifically the crotch area," Emily said and smiled widely. She watched as Y/n made herself comfortable on her bed. "It makes me wonder what stories you will have when you're queen."

"I'm sure they will be nowhere as funny as a flaming crotch arrow or salt instead of sugar in the tea during an important international meeting," Y/n said and shook her head. Emily shrugged her shoulders before sitting down on her desk chair. "You could hear all the chaotic stories directly from me, you know—my future stories."

Future stories.

"I'm sorry, Your Highness, but I can't stay here forever," Emily said, her eyes falling down to the floor in front of her. "Interpol needs me. I'm sure I'll be shipped off somewhere else the second I'm in London."

Shipped off somewhere else.

Y/n dreaded that idea. She loathed anyone being able to see and fall in love with the mere sight of Emily. Y/n didn't want anyone in the world to have this same connection with Emily like she does. She needed Emily here with her.

"You can stay," Y/n whispered. Emily's eyes immediately shot up and locked onto the young princess's captivating stare. Just as she was about to say 'yes,' her eyes fell to the shiny gold ring on her thumb. It was too big to fit on her ring finger, and Emily had never seen it before on Y/n.