twenty

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING IT TO THE END OF THIS BOOK!🥳

sappy salem moment: i always enjoy writing stories for you all. it's been an outlet for me during these hectic times in my life. thank you for reading, for the support, and the angry comments that make me giggle. i'm so excited for this next chapter in my life to start (i'm shaking at the thought of my interview next week) but i'm glad you all decided to stick around for me and my chaos. also, know that whenever i hear the line "i saw something they can't take away" in YOYOK just know i think of you all🤗

as always, this chapter will NOT have any trigger warnings because they contain spoilers. if you're hesitant to read, please reach out to me about them!😁

not proofread because we keep traditions alive here in my books🤩

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🛩️

word count: 7354

The morning sky was perfect. It was a clear blue sky that coated Nostia with a sense of safety and hopefulness. The entire country prepared for the remarkable wedding that was set to happen in a few hours. Even the birds were singing louder in delight. The only gray cloud in the sky was hanging above the queen's head in her bedroom.

She didn't sleep at all. Y/n dreaded the morning and since this was her final night of peace, she decided to bask in it. She wrote letter after letter, line after line, all to one person who was probably asleep just a hallway down.

She wrote more to Emily in a single night than she's ever written in her entire life. It was like she wrote a book about Emily, only with much more detail in her devotion than any bible the world had known. Yet, her entire world came crashing down. She was set to marry another person in four hours.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Go away," Y/n mumbled as she turned on her stomach, her head facing the windows of her room. The door opened and Salma sighed as she noticed the queen there. If she didn't know any better, she would have assumed that Y/n was dead with how little movement she made. "Salma, please stop staring at me like I am a bomb about to defuse."

"That's practically what you are," Salma said and shut the door behind her. She walked over to the windows and opened them slightly. Y/n winced at the morning sunlight. "You may not be thrilled about your wedding, but I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't make you look like a shining beacon of hope."

"There's no hope," Y/n whispered and shook her head. Salma's eyes softened as she knelt down next to the queen's bed. She carefully ran her hand over Y/n's face.

"You are the hope I have in the future, the hope I have in the world, and the hope I have for this country. You may not feel it, but your existing radiates it to all those smart enough to praise your glory. There is hope even in dark situations like this," Salma said and smiled loosely. "Maid of honor or getaway car, I am subjected to you, my queen. I will support your decision with my life, no matter what you decide to do today. Know that I am always in your corner."

"Why can't all the world be like you?" Y/n asked as tears filled her eyes. Salma chuckled and brushed her knuckles against Y/n's cheeks.

"I wouldn't be unique then," Salma said and sighed softly. She could hear the commotion from the makeup, hair, and dress crew throughout the palace. "Come on, let's get your ready. You've got to shower."

On the other side of Nostia, Stephen was being taken care of by another team. They made sure his Navy uniform was well-pressed and as shiny as a new coin. With the help of Salma, he decided to wear an entirely white uniform to match Y/n's white dress.