nine

hello! very morning update because i'm doing some last minute studying for a very important exam. i've spent months studying for this, so fingers crossed i'm able to achieve my desired scores! 💃

not proofread because...y'know yeah😇

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: slight angst, fighting
word count: 3615

"Good morning, Nostia! I'm your host, Tiffany Evans, and thank you for tuning in. Last night was one for the fairytale books. Stephen Alexander Wells, Duke of Mertz, seemingly swept our desired Princess Y/n off her feet after several gentlemen tried to win over the young royal. Anyone who was lucky enough watched as the two practically fell in love during their dance. The rest of this nation is all wondering, what are the next steps for this divine couple? And will the princess finally settle down?"

"It's nice to see that the press is happy," Margaret said and took a sip of her coffee. Her eyes were focused on the newspaper that was talking all about the dance between the princess and duke at the party last night. "I'm glad you found him, Y/n. Once this wedding is over with, the coronation will run as smooth as possible with parliament behind us."

"How are you so sure that a wedding will actually take place?" Y/n asked and spread the jam across her toast. She lifted her eyes and noticed her grandmother was now looking over at her.

"I have eyes, dear," Margaret said and set down her mug. She folded the newspaper over and showed Y/n the picture of them dancing together. The queen smiled widely as she admired the memory that was captured by the media. "I think it was love at first sight."

"Love at first sight does not exist, Nana," Y/n said and wiped her hands with the napkin on her lap. "People must know each other, trust each other for love to blossom. He doesn't know me, and I most certainly do not know him."

"You are his future queen. Of course he already trusted you before that dance. The love merely bloomed in that room. You might need to do some work to love him back, but I have no doubts that you will," Margaret said and set down the newspaper. Just then, Emily appeared in the garden area. Her sunglasses flushed on her face and the typical black suit on her slim figure. "Ah, Agent Prentiss, just the person I wanted to see."

"Good morning Your Majesty, Your Highness," Emily said and bowed her head. She couldn't even look over at Y/n at the moment. Her stance was like a statue, cold and hard. It stuck out to Y/n who was almost certain it had to do with that dance with the duke last night.

"You're on time today, Agent Prentiss," Y/n said sarcastically, attempting to poke fun at Emily. Instead, she was met with a soft forceful smile and sunglasses covered eyes. "Is everything okay?"

"Perfectly fine," Emily said and nodded her head. Margaret couldn't tell that there was something wrong with Emily, but Y/n could see right through her. "You needed me, Your Majesty?" 

"Yes, the Duke of Mertz is on his way here now with a guest that he'd like the princess to meet. Do me a favor and alert the team that he has full authorization to be with the princess," Margaret said and before grabbing onto her mug. "I already had Collin run a background check on him. He's perfectly clean."

"Fantastic," Emily said forcefully, pushing her sunglasses up to rest on the top of her head. Truthfully, she wished something had come up to make Stephen permanently disappear from the picture. "Is there anything else?"

"No, hopefully I'll be having a meeting with you soon to discuss wedding security plans," Margaret said and took a sip of her coffee. Emily sighed quietly before taking a step back. Collin entered the garden area and bowed his head towards the two women.