Chapter 11: Appraisal

"Nii-san said you scored 50s across all subjects. Did you purposely lower your test scores?" Horikita broke the awkwardness with a question.

"It was a coincidence. I only knew half the answers hence I decided to attract the school's attention by scoring 50s."

"You saw a weird side of me."

"You're weird everyday. Nothing new." Horikita glared at me.

"I understand that I was quite shortsighted during the study sessions. We still don't know the inner workings of the school system and letting Sudou and the others get expelled might be disadvantageous in the long run."

"It's good that you've realised. Who knows what kinds of tests we'll have to face? Plus we still don't know anything about Special exams. Maybe Sudou's physical ability might be useful down the line." I said thought provokingly.

"You're right." Sigh. She narrowed her eyes.

"I hate your type the most. You hang back while your friends are in trouble. Are they even your friends? And not to forget your impressive fighting skills. You avoid trouble like the plague and pretend to be an idiot for who knows why."

"You wound me, Horikita. Of course I also want my friends to pass this exam."

"You're not fooling me, Ayanokouji-kun."

With that, we left back for the dormitories.

-!$!-

The air was rich with the aroma of new tea. A month and a half had already gone by since I started high school. For the most part, my days have been anything but hassle free.

"Hey, can you hear me? Is your head okay?"

Horikita rudely smacked my head and placed her hand onto my forehead.

"You don't seem to be having a fever," she said.

"Of course not! I was just in deep thought, that's all." I let out a deep sigh, knowing Horikita's persistence in this. Even though I never admitted I'd help her, she probably perceived it as so.

"So, my honourable tactician, what should we do?"

"Let's see... we obviously need Sudou-kun to participate again. That means you have to grovel and beg for them to return."

"Why should I do that? The simplest way is for you to apologise to him and welcome him back with both arms or... we could ask Kushida."

"Tch. Very well. Sacrifices are inevitable."

My neighbour got up from her seat and walked towards Sudou and the others. The idiot trio scowled at the sight.

"Wh-what is it? What do you want from us?" What an overreaction. They backed away in fright.

"I want you to join my study group again."

"Huh? Again? I mean studying is so boring right, Ike? Besides, we plan to cram everything the day before. We've gotten along the same way since junior high."

"That certainly seems like an idea you'd have. But if you do, it's highly likely you'll be expelled."

"You're acting the same as usual." Sudou said, standing up.

"Sudou-kun, won't you try studying with me one more time? You might manage to squeak by if you pull an all-nighter."

"Well, I... I don't want any of your stupid charity. I won't forget the bullshit you put me through that day. If you want me to join, apologise. A honest one at that."