Chapter 8: Triumph

"Heh, so Hirata switched out. A pity! Anyway, let's have a nice game, Ayanokouji-kun!!!" The white haired boy smirked as he shook hands with Ayanokouji-kun.

I'm truly sorry for involving you in this. But I have no choice but to. I have to trust Ayanokouji-kun. I have to believe he will make a comeback.

"Gentlemen, if you would please ante up." The dealer proceeded with round 5.

"Since Hirata-san switched out, if you would, Ayanokouji-san, call the cut?"

The cut was five cards and six cards. After that the cards were dealt.

[Joker A♥ K♥ Q♠ J♠]

"Yosh, Ayanokouji-kun got a definite straight. He got really lucky." Karuizawa pumped his fist.

"I don't think so, Karuizawa-san. It's actually a terrible hand." I beckoned.

"Eh, why is that Hirata-kun? It's a strong hand from the very beginning."

"Exactly, it's because it's a strong hand that it's bad. Karuizawa-san, what do you think Satonaka-kun would do if Ayanokouji-kun didn't exchange any cards?"

"Oh... I see. He might think it's a strong hand and fold. Ahhh. Poker sucks! Why is it so complicated?" Karuizawa moaned.

The dealer asked for the bets. "Ayanokouji-san, what will you bet?"

"Ten chips." His monotonous voice rang throughout.

Shinohara confusedly asked. "Ehm, why is he betting ten? Shouldn't he bet the minimum so that Satonaka-kun stays."

"Satonaka-san, your turn?"

"I'll call for now." Satonaka replied.

Azuma said. "Hmm, he stayed. It must be difficult to fold right off the bat."

"The next part is the most difficult one. Ayanokouji-kun has to discard something, otherwise Satonaka-kun might fold. If the initial bet had been 5 chips, then Satonaka might consider playing till he gets a decent hand. But, a bet of ten might be too much." Matsushita observed.

"Now, let's begin the card exchange, Ayanokouji-san, how many cards will you discard?"

"Three cards please." What? What are you doing Ayanokouji-kun? No... He must have a reason for it. He kept the joker and the ace and discarded the other three.

"Did he say three cards!" Satou looked nonplused.

"But, he destroyed his straight. Why would he do that! Don't tell me it was to keep his opponent in the game." Matsushita postulated.

Satonaka-kun exchanged three cards as well. "Now, to place the second bet. Ayanokouji-san, what will it be?" Dealer-san continued.

"I raise... 10 chips" Satonaka-kun called matching Ayanokouji-kun's bet.

"You're right Matsushita-san, Ayanokouji-kun threw away three cards to lure Satonaka-kun to continue playing. As I said before, with the joker the chances of winning are much greater. With it, you're practically guaranteed at least three of a kind.

But, let's say you have three of a kind. How many cards will you discard?"

Azuma answered. "Obviously two cards. AH!"

"You get it don't you? If a hand has a joker, then they will discard either 2 cards, one or nothing. So, exchanging three cards should be an impossible move for a player who has the joker. From Satonaka-kun's POV he must be thinking that Ayanokouji-kun had a bad hand when he exchanged three cards."