Chapter 2: TSA

I had just bombed the introductions. All the scenarios I had built up in my head went down the drain. One thing to note is that teenagers are scary! Now that an app like OAA exists, my classmates have started making snarky nicknames for others. Mine was Average-kun.

The school building consisted of four floors and a rooftop. The first years have their classes on the third floor, second years on the second floor and third years on the first floor. As I retreated from the school building, the mini soccer stadium came into view. Veering left, I followed the map application installed in my phone. This school really does everything in spades. 90% of students went to the dormitory complex. Others who had already formed cliques went to cafes and I, on a whim, decided to swing by the convenience store.

"My, what an unpleasant coincidence"

A wild Horikita appeared.

I raised my hand lightly in greeting. "There's no need to be hostile. Did you come here to buy something?"

"Yes, just the basic necessities"

Swiftly grabbing a basket, Horikita sped past me as if she was avoiding the plague. I followed from a distance as she stuffed her basket with low cost products. Deciding to start up a conversation, I walked up to her.

Human beings are social creatures. People often need to talk and communicate their feelings every once in a while. But communication is the hardest part. A key to a good conversation is not to speak your mind first, but letting others speak their mind.

"Quite an eventful morning no? What do you think about this school?" A decent question to start a conversation. They say making friends is easier when you share challenges together.

Upon hearing my words, she glared scarily at the shampoo bottle in her hands before facing me.

"I don't agree with the school evaluation on me. I do not belong in that defective class. I decided to go to the school administration regarding a reevaluation. Why am I even telling you all of this?" Horikita walked past me to the checkout after venting out her frustrations. Picking up a few groceries, I went to the front where another oddity struck me.

"Free?" Horikita also noticed this and appeared to be exasperated. Daily necessities like toothbrushes and bandages were stuffed into a clearance bin and labelled 'Free'.

"This must be an emergency relief supply for students who blew through their points" I said

Horikita appeared bewildered. "How on Earth do you use up 100,000 points even after all the explanations the school gave us."

"Are you going to attend the TSA club tour tonight? I still have to buy a set of formals though."

Before Horikita could respond, a blaring noise drowned out the peaceful background music of the convenience store. At the register, an argument broke out between the worker and an ill-tempered student - who happened to be one of my classmates.

"What's going on here?" I asked

"Huh, who are you?" He eyed me in hostility.

I just wanted to be amiable but it seems like he mistook me for an enemy.

"My name is Ayanokouji. We're from the same class and I asked because it seems like you're in a bit of trouble."

He looked assuaged as he explained that he forgot his student ID and couldn't pay for his cup noodles.

After paying for his food, I found out his name was Sudou. I started to fill the cup noodles with hot water from the dispenser, an aghast Horikita sighed after watching our exchange.