A Giant with a Big Heart

Basil - one of the few people who is staying at the Fix-It plant section - sits at the vacant chair as he wipes the sweat off his face. Exactly at noon, the blonde flower boy finishes watering the numerous plants inside the garden house right outside the plant section as well as the monthly clean-up of both the Fix-It plant section and the garden house. Nothing unusual happens, though there would be the occasional banter between the customers and the manager...

It's exhausting, but it pays, that's for sure, Basil internally comments before panting profusely.

Although the sixteen-year old kid tries to catch his breath after a whole morning of hard work, he couldn't be more happier that his tasks are completed. Basil himself is especially glad that most of the products and wares have sold over the past month or so ever since he applied to his part-time job of his. Luckily for him, there are other part-time workers who are allocated to specific areas of the Fix-It store and the employees have been getting along thus far.

Soon after, Basil goes to the usual place where him and his peers would have a softdrink or two just a reward for themselves for working themselves to the bone for what feels like minimum wage to them. However, from stories by the part-time employees, they couldn't be any happier that they are earning a decent portion of profit... even if it may not be so much compared to other professional opportunities.

The blonde-haired boy does relate to them, but he has more reasons... and one of them is personal to him. Each time he visited the garden house, the sixteen-year old boy noticed that the plants and flowers were wilting away and didn't see anybody tending to their daily needs at all. Just like the greenery in his home, he simply wants to take care of the plants since nobody would with the added bonus of having a stable income for the time being.

Also, he does recognize that four of his closest companions are dealing with their own personal responsibilities and that they may or may not have time to accompany him. Another reason he decides to work under the Fix-It store as a part-time job to keep his mind occupied of the past plus accepting that fact that there'll be times where the flower boy can not constantly rely on his trustworthy friends to defend him from potential harm... as well as from his crippling loneliness.

Basil admits that these days are treating him well...

...and that everything around him has been less hectic ever since.

After waving goodbye to the peers of his age on a sunny afternoon, Basil returns back home to meet his precious caretaker - who rushes towards the sweet boy and crushes him with her bear hug. Though the blonde gardener could barely breathe at all, he doesn't have it in him to tell her to stop and deal with it for a while. Luckily for him, Polly stops after she immediately realizes the terrifying grip strength she has.

The female caretaker leads the child to the dining table... and Basil's mouth waters as he sees the feast that has been prepared just for him. He gives Aunt Polly his genuine thanks as the two - alongside with his grandmother - sit down and have their meal. Basil is aware that both of his guardians are still worried about him as they were initially flabbergastered that someone under their protection decided to get a part-time job for the summer.... but they came around the idea in under a few months.

Though the two keep recommending Basil other locations wherein he can work instead of his current workplace, the flower boy politely declines their offers. He does not wish to tell them about his selfish reasons for choosing that place over admittingly decent establishments that could pay more and the young teenage boy is more than content with his decision and both the female caretaker and the grandmother can barely do anything to change his mind.

After the lovely conversation and the wonderful food, Basil opens the front door before waving the two guardians goodbye as he has somewhere he wants to be. The anxious boy runs to Faraway Park to catch some fresh air while accomplishing his daily steps... and it's probably one of the few reasons why he can calm his mind much better than before. After all, it's not that the young boy can't go anywhere alone...