A Kind Soul

A young girl starts playing with her numerous toys in her playroom, where many of the kids of her age find enjoyment simply playing together. Not too long, however, she mindlessly wanders around the academy she is currently at when recess comes up for the day.

This time, the female goes as far as to reach beyond school grounds to go wherever life takes her. Although she can hear the laughter of her peers lessening each time she moves further away, she starts walking to the crossroads and heads to Faraway Park.

The five year old girl watches in awe as the leisure area is filled to the brink with children, adults, pets, and so much more. She doesn't even remember the park being *this* lively... though the lad herself does not know a lot about her current location's history, thus it could simply be from a shift of scenery and the people happens to come along with it.

As Mari Horihiko attempts to interact with the kids her age outside of school, they don't mind in the slightest. To her, the liveliness and the enthusiasm from her surroundings must've been much more vibrant as she couldn't even begin to describe the amount of fun she's having.

Sometime later, the five year old waves goodbye to her future playmates before they return the same gesture. Before she realizes, however, Mari couldn't find her way back to school... and the roads are occupied with an endless wave of cars honkung, which frightens the girl since she does not handle loud noises well.

Mari then starts to bawl her eyes out, crying for help.

A young man hears the commotion and hurries to the sound of a toddler tearing up profusely. It is then that he comes face-to-face with a lonesome toddler and the male adult tries to comfort her as best as he possibly can. Though, the man himself becomes straightforward and asks why the girl is crying all of the sudden.

Despite the tears, the brave girl wipes off her tears and points at the same direction she came from. It takes the young adult a second to realize the dilemma the child is in, to which he lowers his arm. " You can hold my hand if you need help. "

Mari hesitates for a bit as she does recognize that the adult figure could possibly be a burglar trying to be friendly with her before he takes her to unfamiliar territory. However, she thinks that there is no other way but to cross the path littered with automobiles, so the girl puts her faith to the stranger and takes his large hand.

Much to her surprise, her fear of cars subsided temporarily as soon as they all stopped in accordance to a traffic light post. Mari is still paranoid that the cars could start up without either her warning or the stranger's and they both could be splattered before they would know what hit them... but the feeling starts to fade as she holds onto the adult's hand tightly.

It is then when the girl soon realizes the comforting aura the man radiates without doing much.

Meanwhile, the young male casually accompanies the girl and ensures that his grip does not become unbearable for the child herself. As the two individuals reach the end of the crossroad and the cars begin to start up continue their usual route, the five year old girl lets out a heavy sigh of relief.

As both the adult and the toddler head over to Faraway High, the young man notices both male and female supervisors going from area to area frantically to locate the lost child, he assumes. One teacher in particular races towards the adult as she hugs Mari Horihiko like her life depends on it.

Although the kind gentleman bows down and is about to excuse himself to leave, he feels a light tug on one of his sleeves.

" Thank you so much, Mister!!! "

" Yes, " the female teacher smiles happily upon seeing the man, " I want to express my utmost gratitude for finding and returning Mari back to school! "

" ... "

" It's no big deal, miss, " the man softly speaks up, " it's just something I had to do. No need to thank me. "

" Actually, I was just about to visit this place once again. Before you ask me, it's just to reminisce and relive my childhood... That may have sounded childish. "

" No, no, " the young instructor seems in shock about the man's short revelation, " I remember you. You are Sunny Shizuki, correct? Awe, I'm so glad that I get to meet someone who I've known for a decade and to witness them grow up! "

Mari - on the other hand - stares at the male adult with curious eyes. Though she does not know why exactly, the girl feels as if she has had a past history with him... but doesn't remember at all. Nevertheless, the five year old holds onto the stranger's leg as if she trust Sunny Shizuki with her life.

" Dear, " she is taken aback that a toddler would rush to an adult and stick to them so easily, " I'm terribly sorry. Mari... has been one to get attached to the people she cares about, but it's only a select few. "

Sunny is completely empathetic with the young girl's behavior. He remembers the times when the man himself couldn't be able to befriend even one person around his age... and despite trying his absolute best to be participative and active, he would almost always get shunned by the other children.

" Where are their parents? I'd imagine that they are probably worried sick about them. "

" She, " the teacher catches herself stuttering at the first chance she has to explain, " s-she has nobody to wait for. Our staff members took care of her for a good while... and I took it upon myself to take care of her until we locate her biological parents' whereabouts. "

One look at Mari confirms to him that she must've been confiding inside the school grounds for a while. Furthermore, the young man can blatantly observe that both the female toddler and the female instructor do not have any sort of genetic resemblance between the two whatsoever.

Upon further inspection, Sunny does see a familiar face with the young girl... almost too identical to someone he knew, the male thinks to himself. Whether the young girl is correlated to a certain sibling of his is irrelevant as he wants to help the toddler in any way he can.

" I would like to take care of Mari, if that would be acceptable for you, miss. "

" Mari Horihiko! "

" Ah, yes, " the tall and slim male awkwardly scratches his head at the sudden correction, " it would be best if I could discuss the matter with both you and the headmaster, miss. Just so you won't have any regrets. "

" That's too kind of you, Mister Shizuki, " the two adults shake hands in unanimous agreement, " I will request our headmaster for an imperative appointment. I'll be right back. "

As soon as the female instructor leaves, both Sunny and Mari look at each other at eye level. The younger one of the two seems to be overwhelmed with joy as the girl jumps into Sunny's arms before the two share a wonderful embrace that gets the grown up adults to be in awe with the wholesome moment occuring.

" Does that mean you'll be my dad, mister? Well? "

" I don't necessarily think so. Truth be told, I never had a wife and kid to take care of before... but maybe a big brother would suffice. "

Except some of the 'big adult' words, Mari could not contain her excitement any longer... and Sunny does feel the same as well. He looks at the five year old one last time... and although there is a real possibility that 'Mari Horihiko' could theoretically be someone he used to know, it wouldn't steer him from his current decision otherwise.

" Okay, big brother~! I hope we have lots of fun together! I love you! "

" ... "

" I love you too, little sister. I promise nobody will hurt you. I'll stay by your side as long as I live. "

[ᴇɴᴅ]