The day's rays kissed my skin. I squinted up at the sky.

I had bet, if mother had talked to me, she would have confessed, that like me, she had hair as golden yellow as the sun.

But the moment never came and she passed away.

I always wondered why she behaved so towards me, I could only guess that it was for the same reason as fathers'. They were disappointed in me.

"Emilea, I do not find talking to myself amusing." He shut the book in his hand. I rolled my eyes at his frustration.

"Fine. I have a question for you. Why does everyone hate our King? Sounds like he did the right thing to me." I crossed my arms.

"Many people hate him because he killed many innocent people when they attacked Kalzr. There is also a theory that he blamed the druids for the queen's death just so that it gave him a reason to destroy them all."

"Why hasn't anyone stood up to him if he is so bad? Why hasn't our family?" I asked, curious.

"Our father was good friends with King Lavro. We don't believe those rumors. Though he did kill many, he did what he thought was right for Galasia." He looked at me as I yawned. "I've told you that many times before, Emilea. Are you really listening when I teach?"

"I'm sorry. I just do not understand why I have to remember this."

"Galasia's history is your own. You will do well to remember that."

I groaned.

"How are you ever going to catch up on your studies if you do not pay attention? Your sister is only twenty years old, and she can already recite our history in four different tongues!"

"Dalani is only three years younger, brother. She also is incredibly boring because all she does is study books. And what about Yestin? He is twenty four and he is the same as me, but I don't see you yelling at him."

"It's different."

"How?" I demanded. I felt like Yestin always got away with everything.

"You know our duties are different."

"Right, women aren't allowed to become soldiers. We have to keep to our studies and become wonderful wives."

Akyto sighed again.

"Why can't you just try to fit in, Emilea?" He grabbed my shoulder.

"You know that I have tried." I looked away.

"Well, we shall not give up, for father's sake."

I found myself chuckling. I do not know if that was a reasonable goal. After all, I had tried living like that for twenty three years, and look where that got me. Nowhere. Father still sees me as a disappointment.

Akyto's shook his head. I wonder if he had given up on me too?

"Why don't we get ready for archery lessons now?" He extended his hand, which I took.

Though I was glad we were moving past the studies, I was not too thrilled at the idea that I could fail another archery lesson.

"Practice makes perfect." He pushed me forward and nodded for me to get ready.

We met at the practice range. I had my bow and arrows, and Akyto had his. After setting his down, he came over to me and helped me with my stance.

"Do you remember what I told you?" He stood back. I grabbed an arrow, set it up, and drew it back, making sure to keep my arm straight and close to my face.

"Good, now exhale. Line up your shot and then release."

I obeyed. The arrow flew towards my target, hitting the farthest edge of the circle. My heart sank.

"Again."

I picked up the next arrow, drew it back, and released. Akyto stopped me on my seventh try.

"Remember, your inner elbow must be parallel to the ground and keep it drawn as tightly as possible. You are strong enough. Concentrate, Emilea. Feel where the wind is blowing and adjust." The wind was blowing slightly from the left. I drew my bow and was about to release when a horseman came riding up the drive.

"Well, look who it is?" Akyto chuckled.

Squinting in the sun, I could just barely make out the familiar face.

"Teren?"

"I wasn't expecting him back until the end of spring." I could hear the relief in his voice. "We will continue your practice later."

Was there any hope for me? To my father's standards there was not. I wanted him to approve of me. If mother could not then perhaps there was still hope for father. However, there was something I was hiding from all of them.