𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 ²³

[ He had never looked that happy, and when he turned to her, Abaddon returned the genuine smile while she realized that the angel might've been right

[ He had never looked that happy, and when he turned to her, Abaddon returned the genuine smile while she realized that the angel might've been right. ]

"How was it?" Abaddon asked the question, breaking the silence, and after some seconds she felt the need to clarify herself, "Heaven, I mean."

"Not that different," after taking a few seconds to think about it, Crowley answered, "boring."

"I don't remember it at all," the blue-haired demon admitted, "but it's not like we spent much time up there either." she got a hum of agreement from him after the small joke.

The kids had been gone for a few hours now and the sun was setting. Crowley had driven them into another field she didn't know, and they walked up until they reached the top of a small hill. They sat there in silence for some time, maybe for half an hour or perhaps for a whole hour, until she had asked the question.

"You know, I think they are crueller than before," Crowley spoke in a bitter tone, almost spitting venom, "I saw how they treated Aziraphale, Gabriel is the worst of them all."

Abaddon remembered Gabriel as someone vain, narcissistic, and selfish, which came hand in hand with being one of the most beautiful beings ever. Still, she had no memory of him treating other angels that poorly. She guessed time had passed for everyone, especially the eternal beings. Some changed less, some nearly became different beings.

She had changed, a lot, Crowley and Aziraphale had too; that was undeniable. Aziraphale had become less innocent, she thought, perhaps even more devilish. She still didn't trust him, but he had gone to Hell and back to help Crowley, and she could not ignore that. She was stubborn but not an idiot. She understood that had taken courage and that not anybody would do it for another being, especially someone that was supposed to be his opposite.

Abaddon felt something move on top of her hand. At first, she thought it might've been a bug, but it got heavier, so she took a peek at it. Crowley's hand rested there comfortably, motionless once it was covering hers. Even though it was cold, a rush of warmth crawled from her hand, up her arm and onto her chest. She stared at it for a while until she felt a little more pressure on hers, Crowley's fingers wrapping over her own. She lifted her sight from the enveloped hands to the other demon's face, he took his time to do the same, staring at their hands and up until they both were looking into each other's eyes. After some seconds, Crowley opened his mouth to speak, closed it, and opened it again.

"You are the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." he spoke softly, his voice quiet as if a thought that had been roaming through his mind just set itself free without his consent. He sounded honest, almost vulnerable, innocent.

Abaddon looked deep into his eyes. Those eyes she had always loved to watch, even since the days they first shifted into their humanoid forms. Even from afar, they had always mesmerized her, like they had some kind of spell or were laced with a very addictive drug. It had been years, perhaps even decades since she saw them shine as bright as they did while he was looking at her that way, laying on the grass on that remote field.

"I love you." he carried on, a genuine smile growing on his face.

His smile was so contagious that it rubbed off on her own face as she replied, "I love you, too."

After a few seconds of silence, he tugged on her hand, his fingers now intertwined with hers, "Let's go."

Abaddon stood up after him with the help of his hand and her own pushing on the grass. When she was on her feet, Crowley pulled on her hand once again, this time a bit more forcefully, making her crash into his chest. His hand brushed her cheek, turning her head up towards his face, brushing a few strands of her hair out of her face and softly putting them behind her ear. He took advantage of that moment to peck her lips quickly before returning his hand to hers and leading them to his car.

Once they reached the Bentley, he opened the door for her and she muttered a "thank you" before getting in. They closed the doors and Crowley started the car, following the way back to London. Windows rolled down, Crowley reached into the glove compartment, fumbling through his records until he found one of his likings and put it on the disc player. The song started with some finger snaps, Crowley replicated them with his finger tapping on the steering wheel. He hummed along to the song, "Killer Queen", Abaddon remembered the title, Crowley had told her it reminded him of her. She looked at the demon beside her and she was sure that if spending eternity with him was going to be like this, she didn't mind it at all.

THE END.