What are we? Pt. 1

Lyric:
"So, what are you doing after this?" my girlfriend, Spencer, asks when our dinner date is coming to an end.

"I have to work on the proposal for Mariano's."

"Oh baby, you can work on that later. Come over." Spencer's eyes scan me, then darken, a look she knows is hard to say no to.

"Spence, the proposal is due by the end of the week and I am so far behind schedule. I really need to get it done."

"You never have time for me," she mumbles.

"Don't even say that. I'm with you every second of my downtime. I'm sorry if that's not enough, but I'm doing my best."

"Your best isn't enough."

"Well, okay then." I grab my work briefcase from under the table and toss my lap napkin onto the table.

"Wait, I didn't mean that," Spencer tries as I get up. She grabs my wrist before I walk past her. "Don't leave."

"Let go of me," I choke, my chest tightening and my throat closing.

"Lee, I'm sorry. Please don't leave."

"Let go of me, Spencer. I'm leaving. We're done."

"Lee-"

"That's the last time you talk to me like that and manipulate me into staying. Goodbye, Spencer. I'll call you later for my stuff." And with that, I pull out of her grip and leave the restaurant.

The second the door to my black Lincoln Navigator closes, I release my feelings, slamming once, hard, with my hands on the top of the steering wheel. I take a deep breath before driving home.

-

When I get home, my twin brother, Primo is waiting for me in my kitchen. I called him on the way home asking him to come over. He has a key so he let himself in. Walking up to him, I can't stop the tears. He catches me when I practically fall into his arms.

"Hey, what's going on?" he asks softly, holding me tightly.

"We broke up," I sob into him.

"Shit, I'm so sorry, Lee. Do you wanna talk about it?"

I shake my head no. "God, this is the worst possible time," I sniffle after a little while. "I have to finish the proposal for Mariano's. I have a meeting in two days for Dad's company. I don't even know why he wants me out of all of us to go, but whatever. I have to fly to Italy to check on the home farm since Mom is too busy and Dad has work. I was gonna bring Spencer but now I guess I'm going alone."

Prime stops my rant with a soft "Shh". He pulls away from the hug and looks me in the eyes. "I'll finish your proposal, okay? I know that restaurant just as well as you do, even if I don't own it. There's not much I can do about the meeting with Dad if he asked for you, but at least I can take the proposal for you."

"You don't have to do that."

"I'd be happy to."

I hug him again. "Thank you. I love you."

-

A few days later, I'm lounging in my bedroom with my computer and a bag of chips. Things have been hard since the breakup. The world seems a little darker, and I feel more alone, sad, and hurt.

The last thing on my agenda that I have yet to power through is my trip to Italy to the home farm. I haven't wanted to go there alone. It was meant to be a trip with Spencer, but clearly, that's not happening. I've been scrolling through my phone in hopes that one person in my contacts will jump out at me as someone I could invite.