Chapter Three

Start bij het begin

"Diana, why don't you go unpack and rest for awhile?" Mother said, her tone firm. "You've had a long journey."

"Yes, Mama," I said. "Dinner will be at the usual time?"

"Yes."

As Mother walked to the door, I will admit I acted in an appallingly childish way. I took the last pastry and took a big bite from it. Sarah's eyes widened and then narrowed in anger. Setting what was left of the pastry back on the plate, I placed the plate back on the tea tray.

"Diana Forester! How dare you—?!"

I hastened after Mother, unable to hold back a laugh. There was nothing like being home.

****

The first chance I had to see my father was right before dinner. He hugged me and asked if I had enjoyed my trip to London. Although I would have liked to learn more about Mr. Richfield's conversation with him, I hesitated to say anything with my sister within earshot. My younger brother only question was if I had brought him anything from London.

Sarah somehow managed to glare at me through the entire meal, but I seemed to be the only one who noticed. Aunt and Uncle Forester had a great deal of gossip to keep the meal lively and frequently appealed to me to verify their statements.

After dinner, while Papa and Uncle Forester talked, I went upstairs and collected the gifts I had brought with me. The moment I stepped into the sitting room, Will tried to relieve me of my burden. Because that is just the caring, selfless younger brother he is—not.

"I have it," I said, twisting to keep the packages away from him. The fact that he was several inches taller than me and had such long arms made it nearly impossible to get out of reach. "Mama!"

"William, you will get your gift sooner if you leave her alone," Mother said from where she was sewing in front of the fireplace. I don't know how she always managed to sound patient with all of us.

Groaning, Will dropped his arms and retreated to the settee, where he could hang over the back. "Hurry up."

Deliberately, I slowed my steps. "For goodness' sake, Diana, you look ridiculous!" Sarah said, running her fingers across her harp. "Rather like you're walking down the aisle."

"What is so wrong with that?" Though I was determined not to let her pull me into an argument that would only get us both in trouble, I had to know what was going through her mind.

Plucking out a tune, Sarah sent a quick glance over at me. "Well, you're old enough not to play silly pretend games, or at least you should be. You have no prospects of actually walking down the aisle anytime soon."

"Sarah Forester, do not speak of things you know nothing about," Mother said sharply. "You have hardly spent five minutes with Diana without arguing, so how would you know whether she has 'prospects' or not?"

"I think you will find if you did take the time to ask, you will learn your sister does indeed have one prospect, Sarah," Aunt Forester added, sending a smile in my direction.

"You must be joking!" Sarah shifted her gaze, filled with betrayal, to me. "And you haven't told me, Diana?"

There was no way I was going to talk about Mr. Richfield right then. Rushing to the settee, I dropped my packages on the cushion. "Will, I wasn't at all sure what to get you," I said loudly, looking at my brother. "I hope you don't mind a book."

"What's it about?" Will asked eagerly. "Highwaymen and their escapades?"

Sarah and Mother groaned at the same time. I shook my head. "No, you silly boy. It's a book about steam engines."