Chapter Nine The coven

Start from the beginning

"I know, that's why," the detective sighed, looking at Ophelia in a way she never allowed other men to do, because she always broke up with them first. "Would you leave us alone?" he asked Christ, who let the air out of his lungs nervously, then stepped up to Lia, gave her a kiss on the forehead and left unwillingly.

"I'll be in the corridor."

Lia nodded, then fixed her gaze on Chris as he left. As soon as the door closed behind him, Detective Harper took Chris's seat. He set the plant down on the night stand unwillingly, but said nothing. Lia glanced at the fidgeting detective.

"I'd kill for a fag," she sighed, faintly.

"Come on," the detective jumped up, who was already uncomfortable in Chris's seat.

Lia was alone in the ward, so she didn't bother others. She smiled, her feet touching the cold stone as she adjusted the clothes she'd been given at the hospital. When she stood up, she felt dizzy, so the detective had to catch up and hold her. Lia was filled with the man's spicy scent, a scent she didn't want to leave, as if she'd always belonged there. Ophelia couldn't help herself, her head pressed against his chest for a moment as the detective wrapped his arms around her and guided her towards the window. Ophelia felt at once weak and very strong, a strange mixture of sensations in her swirling emotions, like two currents meeting, or a river flowing into the sea.

The detective opened the window, tilted Ophelia against the sill and window frame, then handed her a cigarette. Lia wanted to light it in the usual way, but a flamethrower shot out of her finger, so she was afraid to set off the fire alarm. With a fierce but firm gesture, the detective disabled the system, which made her smile. They finally managed to light the cigarette using the traditional method.

They didn't speak for a long time, and then, after a few more refreshing puffs, Lia asked:

"What happened to Sanchez?"

"Parker wouldn't let me near him, so he's still alive," the detective replied coolly. Lia didn't know whether to take this as a joke or if he was serious. "In any case, she'd interrogated him, and there was a ton of incriminating evidence against him in cocaine and a few kilos of pills. So that's enough to put our friend in jail for a couple of years, if not for life."

"And did you find out anything about the murder?" Lia asked.

"Parker questioned him about that, but he said he loved Miss Swanson, so he had no reason to kill her. They're checking his alibi now."

"And Dorothy?"

"She was slightly injured by the exploding bullet. We let her go. As promised, she was released in exchange for rehab and some community service."

"I'll try to get myself together by Saturday," she glanced at the cool gaze of the detective, who shook his head, then stubbed out his cigarette under the sill and flicked it out of the window. Ophelia did the same, then asked for another, knowing she wouldn't be allowed out for a while. Lyra hated smoking, so she didn't want to ask her friend to bring in a pack for her.

"Listen," the detective began to break up with her. Lia couldn't help herself and interrupted:

"Look, I know what's coming. I know you're trying to get rid of me. I'm hurt, so what? This job is dangerous. It was my fault, because I was the one who made the bullet explode and wounded many people, including me. You don't have to fire me for that."

"Yes. I do," he said categorically. "You have no idea what it was like to see my new partner lying on the ground."

"So I'm your partner," Ophelia grinned defiantly, making him shake his head.