𝙏𝙃𝙄𝙍𝙏𝙔-𝙁𝙊𝙐𝙍

Start from the beginning

They all nodded in understanding, one last speech from their leader; one last thank you.

Lilah was suddenly aware of a pair of arms lifting her up. Payback spun her around, careful to avoid hurting her. She tucked her head into the crook of his neck and wrapped her legs around his waist.

Everyone backed off, giving them their space, so that they too could say their last goodbye.

"Goodbyes are for wimps, remember?" she muttered, breathing back the tears.

"This isn't goodbye," he replied, and she could hear a smirk. "This is like insurance, just in case I don't get another hug."

"Why does everything think I'm gonna die?" Lilah shouted, stomping her foot as he let her down gently.

About five pilot's gave her an 'are you fucking insane' look. She opened her mouth to respond, but before she could, everyone burst out laughing.

"It's really not funny." she groaned out the grumble, dropped her face into her hands, but even she couldn't hold back a bit of pitiful laughter.

"We could wrap her in bubble wrap," Hangman suggested, winking at Lilah as he came up to stand next to her. She couldn't hide her irritated eye roll as she glanced up. "I would pay good money to see someone attempt that."

"And I would pay good money to watch you plummet to your death, but we can't all get what we want." she grumbled, shoving him as hard as she could. He barely wobbled, staying firmly on his feet.

"I'd be careful what you say, Captain, seeing as you get yourself in a tight situation, I'll be the one getting you out of it."

"Oh god," Lilah groaned, an evil smirk quaking up. "I'm definitely dead if they're handing you the task of saving me."

Before she could even react, Hangman had her over his shoulder. None of the other pilot's seemed inclined in the slightest to help, greeting them with childish smiles and bright eyes.

Hope.

There was a little bit of hope glimmering in them.

"Put. Me. Down!" Lilah shouted, pounding his back with her fist. "I'm a disabled personnel!"

"Disabled, my ass." Hangman retorted with a grin, but it couldn't hide that he was careful putting her down, setting her down gently and not taking his arm off of hers until she was firmly stable.

Everyone's face seemed to fall as they saw Maverick marching onto the tarmac.

"It seems we've run out of time."

No one seemed to hear the breathy words that came out of Lilah's mouth as they watched him walk over to the group.

"Pilots," he greeted, but there was no happiness in his dull eyes. "It's time."

One glance at Lilah.

One at Bradley.

Two nods.

And before Lilah could stop herself, she flung herself at Maverick.

At first he was stunned, his arms still hanging down at his sides. The next moment, his helmet was rolling across the tarmac and his arms were around waist, hugging her tightly.

"Thank you," she whispered, a tear slipping out of her closed eyes. "For everything. I couldn't have asked for a better whatever the hell you'd like to be called."

"Your grandfather would be so proud of you." he muttered back into her hair. "Not the captain, you."

Her response was a slight nod and a squeeze.

And then he was pushing her towards her aircraft. And Jake was giving her boost so she could crawl inside.

She threw him her sling. "Keep it safe for me, since your asskiss friend is the one who fucked up my shoulder."

"Technically speaking, your big ego fucked up your shoulder, but it'll be waiting for you when you get home." Hangman said with a fake salute. "Good luck, Captain, it's been an honor."

"I don't need luck, but thank you." Lilah called as she lowered her canopy. Her grin was bright as Hangman walked off, shaking his head and scoffing.

A voice in her comms started to come through, instructing her as to what she was about to do. The same procedures had been heard a million times and her eyes automatically found Bradley.

He and Hangman were standing, facing each other. Sick fucks. Over the roar of her own aircraft, she couldn't make out the sound, but she read the words.

"You give 'em hell!" She saw his mouth form the words. They were a shout, an order. "And bring her ass home safely."

Bradley didn't reply as Hangman trudged past, but his eyes found hers. She quickly glanced away.

He found Maverick next, and Lilah didn't dare to try and understand what they were saying as she pulled her plane into position. She'd be off first, with Natasha following her. Bradley would be behind, and Payback would bring up the rear.

Everyone was in position, everyone was ready to take off.

Lilah took a deep breath. "Dagger One, up and ready on Catapult One."

"Dagger Spare, standing by." From across the tarmac, Hangman was staring at Natasha.

"Dagger Four, up and ready."

"Dagger three, up and ready."

And finally, his voice came through and the world seemed to be moving too fast. "Dagger two, up and ready."

Mission control came through. "Support assets airborne. Strike package ready. Standing by for the launch decision."

Lilah's heart was beating too fast, her stomach rolling. She might've puked if it hadn't been for the mask on her face.

And then, "Send them."

And she jerked the control stick forward, and her plane was surging off of the deck. A slight drop, and she was in the sky.

She was aware that Phoenix had taken off, and then Bradley. By the time Payback was off the runway, everything had gone numb. Her eyes were locked in on the miles of ocean in front of her.

There was no going back.

I might have another chapter out today or tomorrow, since a lot of it I can just copy from the movie, if that makes sense. 

hope y'all enjoy the update!