Chapter 05

3rd person pov

??: Aang! Aang, wake up!

He wakes up gasping for air.

Katara: It's okay. We're in the village now. Come on, get ready. Everyone's waiting to meet you.

Aang gets up and puts on his shirt and hood. Katara looks at his airbender tattoos. Wishing Izuna had a tattoo, she grabs Aang by the hand and drags him outside. He carries a staff with him.

Aang: Whaa!

Katara pulls him out. A small crowd has gathered to greet him. It is composed of women of various ages and children.

Katara: Aang, this is the entire village. Entire village, Aang.

Aang bows to them in a friendly manner, but the people pull back from him anyway. Fearful of who, or what he is.

Aang: Uh...why are they all looking at me like that? Appa sneeze on me?

An old woman enters the frame as Aang inspects his clothes for bison snot.

Gran Gran: Well, no one has seen an airbender in a hundred years. We thought they were extinct until my granddaughter and grandsons found you.

Aang: Extinct?

Katara: Aang, this is my grandmother.

Gran Gran: Call me Gran Gran.

Sokka:*grabs Aang's staff* What is this, a weapon? You can't stab anything with this.

Aang: It's not for stabbing. It's for flying!

Aang flies around, showing his prowess with air bending, until he crashes into Sokkas snow tower.

Aang: Oof!

Sokka:*gasping* My watchtower!

Katara: That was amazing.

She helps Aang back to his feet. he twirls his glider shut as Sokka examines the damaged tower behind him. After Aang closes the glider a huge bank of snow buries Sokka.

Sokka: Great. You're an airbender, Katara's a water bender, Izuna's a water and fire bender, together you can just waste time all day long.

Aang: Wait, you're a water bender! And you're a fire and water bender?

Katara: Well...sort of. Just not yet.

Izuna: You shouldn't count yourself short Katara.

Izuna places his hand on her shoulder as her face becomes red.

Gran Gran: All right. No more playing. Come on, Katara, you have chores. 

Katara: Aang?

Cuts to Aang chasing peguins, but is unable to catch them as they waddle away.

Aang: Haha! hey, come on little guy. Wanna go sledding?

Aang lunges, but falls flat on his face. He gets back up as Katara approaches.

Aang: Oof! Heh Heh, I have a way with animals.

Aang puts his arms out and waddles in imitation of the four peguins

Aang: Yarp! Yarp! Yarp! Yarp! Yarp! Yarp!

Katara:*giggles* Aang, I'll help you catch a penguin if you teach me waterbending.

Aang: You got a deal! Just one little problem. I'm an airbender not a waterbender. Isn't there someone who can teach you? What about Izuna?

Katara: He was only able to teach me the basics, since he's mainly skilled in firebender than in water bending. 

Aang: But that can't be right. A waterbender needs to master water. What about the North Pole? There's another Water Tribe there, right? Maybe they have waterbenders who could teach you and Izuna.

Katara: Maybe. But we haven't had contact with our sister tribe in a long time. It's not exactly 'turn right at the second glacier.' It's on the other side of the world.

Aang: But you forget that I have a flying bison. Appa and I can personally fly you to the North Pole. Katara, we're gonna find you a master!

Katara:*happy* That's...*then becomes uncertain* I mean, I dont know. I've never left home before.

Aang: Well, you think about it. But in the meantime, can you teach me to catch one of these penguins? 

Katara: Okay listen closely my young pupil. Catching penguins is an ancient and sacred art. Observe.

She uses a fish to catch on. As the two zip and slide on them. They arrive at an underpass and go through it. And find a crashed ship. A fire navy ship.

Katara: A Fire Navy ship, and a very bad memory for my people.

Aang begins to walk toward the ship.

Katara: Aang, stop! We're not allowed to go near it. The ship could be booby trapped. 

Aang: If you wanna be a bender, you have to let go of fear.

She looks uncertain, knowing what she's doing is wrong, then follows him to the ship. They climb up and enter the ship through a gaping hole in one of the forward compartments below the water line. They walk around the dark corridors inside past many darkened rooms.