Chapter 03

Book one: Water

We see a Canoe, in the endless ocean. We zoom in to meet our three characters.

A teenage boy, Sokka shaven headed except for a pony tail, stands in the canoe. He looks down at the water, with his spear at the ready. The other occupants is a young girl and young boy. all three of them wore blue overcoats. The canoe drifts slowly as the boy concentrates on fishing. Cut to a close, overhead shot of the canoe. Beside the boat a fish swims close to the surface in front of Sokka.

Sokka: It's not getting away from me this time. Watch and learn Katara, Izuna. This is how you catch a fish.

Katara leans over the edge of the canoe to see a fish. Hesitantly, she removes her left glove. She takes a deep breathe and begins to motion with her exposed hand. Suddenly a globe of water containing the fish burst out of the water.

Katara: Sokka, Izuna look!

Sokka:(Whispers) Shhh. Katara, you're gonna scare it away. Mmmm...I can already smell it cooking!

Izuna: Nice job Katara!

Katara: Thanks Izuna. Look Sokka I caught one!

She struggles with the blob of water and it floats passed Izuna and closer to Sokka, who raises his spear to strike a fish. When he cocks his arm back he burst the bubble of water. The fish falls back into the sea and Sokka get drenched.

Izuna:*laughs* You okay Sokka.

Sokka: Ugh! Why is it that every time you play with magic water I get soaked?

Izuna: It's not magic. It's waterbending, and it's-

Sokka: Yeah, yeah an ancient art unique to our culture, blah blah blah. Look I'm just saying that of I'm just saying that if I had weird powers, I'd keep my weirdness to myself.

Izuna: I gonna have to agree with you on that Sokka. You never know who would try to take advantage of those powers. 

Katara: You're calling me weird? I'm not the one who makes muscles at myself every time I see my reflection in the water.

Izuna: Well Sokka tends to do that a lot doesn't he?

Sokka: Why do I always get picked on?!

Izuna: Maybe it's because Katara is pure and innocent, she can't do anything wrong.

Katara smiles.

Izuna turns to Sokka, who is making a muscle and looking at his reflection in the water. He turns to Katara and give her a look. Suddenly the boats ads bumps against something, they look up to see they have entered the ice packed area, it's very dangerous in this part due to the ice cold water and damaging ice. They begin to work frantically to maneuver the canoe between the icebergs.

Katara and Sokka: Ahhh!

Katara: Watch out! Go left! Go left!

They move, while icebergs are colliding all around them. Each time they manage to avoid getting crushed between the colliding icebergs, they crush together with a boom. But their safety margins decreases rapidly each time. Finally the canoe is crushed when three icebergs collide at once. Sokka, Izuna and Katara jump out in time onto one of the icebergs. Now they're trapped in the ice field. They are now at the mercy of the currents.

Katara: You called that left?

Sokka: You dont like my steering. Well, maybe you should have waterbended us out of the ice.

Izuna helps the two on their little iceberg. Behind them was a huge towering iceberg that rears up into the sky, the beauty of the frozen ice in this endless ocean.

Izuna: Let's keep a level head and find a way out. Okay?

Katara: So it's my fault?

Sokka: I knew I should have left you at home. Leave it to a girl to screw things.

Izuna:*facepalms* Idiot.

Katara, anger begins boiling over. She points at her awful brother, the other one is trying to calm her down.

Katara: You are the most sexist, immature, nut brained...

As she gets more infuriated, the iceberg which they are sitting on begins to heave. And the huge iceberg behind her cracks, and shards of it start falling into the water.

Katara: Ugh, I'm embarrassed to be related to you! Ever since mom died I've been doing all the work around camp while you've been off playing soldier!

Sokka and Izuna begin noticing the cracking iceberg.

Sokka: Uh Katara?

Izuna: I think you need to calm down.

Katara: I even wash all the clothes! Have you ever smelled your dirty socks? Let me tell you, NOT PLEASANT!

Izuna: Katara please calm down!

Sokka: Katara! Settle down!

Katara: No, that's it. I'm done helping you. From now on you're on your own!

By the end she is screaming. As she finishes the iceberg behind her splits open entirely. It disintegrates and the major pieces fall into the water, pushing their iceberg away. They hold on desperately until the iceberg settles.

Sokka: Okay, you've gone from weird to freakish, Katara stares stunned at shattered iceberg.

Katara: You mean I did that?

Sokka: Yup. Congratulations.

Izuna: Well, it's good to know that your waterbending is getting better.

Sokka: And I take it you got an idea of getting us out of here.

Izuna was about say something, but then cut himself off and stayed quiet.

Suddenly, the water in front of them began to glow a incandescent blue. The siblings moved backwards on their raft as another lighter colored iceberg broke the surface.