Brackium Emendo

TW: physical abuse

...

Severus Snape was nursing a glass of brandy and reading a book in his chair by the fireplace, as was his habit on most Saturday evenings.

He heard a tentative knock at his door. Probably a student with some perceived crisis, he thought to himself.

Sighing in irritation, he laid his book on the table and went to answer it.

Madeline stood before him, still wearing her traveling cloak.

He pulled her inside quickly, looking around furtively to ensure no one was watching before closing the door behind them.

"Madeline. You're back early. Are you alright?" She seemed distracted and he wondered if something had happened that caused her to cut her trip short.

"Yes. I'm fine. Thank you. I'm sorry for coming here without permission. Is it alright? Please don't be angry. I made certain no one saw me."

"It's alright, little one. I'm always pleased to see you."

She smiled at him. He went to kiss her, taking her in his arms, and she yelped in pain at his touch. He drew back in shock.

"What's the matter?" he asked sharply, a severe expression on his face.

"Nothing." She wasn't meeting his eyes. "You just surprised me. That's all."

He took her chin, forcing her to look at him. "Don't lie to me. Madeline, are you hurt?"

She closed her eyes.

"Answer me."

She nodded.

"Show me," he said with a calmness that he didn't really feel.

She stepped back and removed her cloak, letting it fall to the floor. Looking straight into his eyes, she unbuttoned her shirt. Her fingers faltered briefly as she pulled it off her shoulders revealing a large, deep, black and blue bruise covering most of her upper arm. It appeared swollen, it was hanging at an unnatural angle, and she wasn't moving it.

"My God," he whispered. He closed his eyes for a moment, composing himself and attempting to control the rage that surged inside him.

He stepped closer to her, but didn't touch her. "How did this happen? Who did this to you?"

She was silent, avoiding his eyes.

"Your mother," he said softly.

She nodded.

"I'll kill her," he growled through gritted teeth. "I'll kill her!"

"Severus, no. Just... help me. Please. I can't move it."

"You can't move your arm? Let me help you with your shirt. I'll take you to the hospital wing."

"No! Please! I don't want anyone to know." There was panic in her voice.

How well he remembered that feeling.

"Madeline, Madame Pomfrey won't judge you. She's a nurse. A healer. A professional. She won't ask questions.  Your injury must be treated. You could lose the use of your arm permanently if you don't seek medical attention immediately."

"Severus, I could never face her if she knew. She's been a mentor to me. She wants me to apprentice with her when I finish school. She can't find out about this. I couldn't stand her pity. I'm too ashamed."

The pain in her eyes was a dagger in his heart. He'd seen it so many times in his own mother. He gently took her face in his hands.

"Listen to me. You have nothing to be ashamed of. This is not your fault."