Chapter Twenty Two

Start from the beginning

"Girl, please! It's your birthday. I can get you a gift if I want to. Or a few." Brooke spread her lips into a smirk. "You're lucky I decided not to bring all the extraness in here with me. I'll be calm for now since it's early and save the rest for later."

"Oh, I'm scared now." Gianna said as they both laughed.

"So what do you have planned for the day?" Brooke pushed back a stray piece of Gianna's hair to make it blend with the rest.

"You know who is taking me out to brunch after this and we're going out later. That's pretty much it."

"Ohh that's why you're not in your Wright U get up this morning. And that's so sweet! Did he get you anything? I'd hate to one up him with better gifts."

She nodded, "I don't know how, but he found the necklace that matches the bracelet he bought for me."

"The vintage gold one? Oh my God, he's so rich. I'm jealous."

Gianna playfully rolled her eyes. "Girl he said he has something else to give me today so I'll let you know who won by the end of the day." She believed that it would be Brooke because her gifts weren't as near as expensive as the ones she got from Miles, but they were sentimental and that's what mattered to her the most.

Their conversation was cut short by the opening of the building's door and Miles walking inside. Both of the girls' gazes traveled to him as he made his way past them. The reasons behind their stares were completely different; Gianna's was natural, she always looked at him out of attraction while Brooke's was more observant, still trying to warp her mind around them two being a thing, and seeing it with her own eyes.

She watched as his eyes flickered from Gianna's face to her slightly athletic body that filled out the fabric of her dress. It fit her tightly, putting all of the curves of her body on display.

Brooke's eyes widened as he licked over his lips and looked Gianna in her eyes once more before continuing to unlock the door. It had happened so rapidly yet slowly. It was so obvious but wasn't at the same time. She looked around to see if anyone else noticed, but everyone was engulfed in their own thing. Completely unaware.

"I don't think I'll be able to compete with that 'something else'." She whispered as they walked into class. Brooke was unable to look at him the whole time he talked. From what she'd witnessed with her own eyes and just by a few things Gianna told her prior, that stare was nothing compared to what he'd do when the two were alone.

Luckily for her, he didn't talk much, ending class an hour earlier than usual. She gave Gianna a look, telling her to have fun with her eyes.

_____________________

After leaving campus separately, the two met at a new brunch spot in the city by the name of Toast. The place wasn't crowded, both because they'd just opened and seating was limited. It seemed like the perfect place in Seattle for them to be without being seen.

It was unusually quiet between the both of them as they sat at the table. Gianna appeared to be unbothered by it but Miles was. In fact, he didn't like how she'd been acting toward him for the past few weeks.

He watched as she carefully read over the entire menu, something she did every time they went out. "Gia?"

Her eyes peered over the top as she felt him staring at her. "Yes?"

"You okay?"

"Yeah, it's a little cold in here but-"

"No, I mean are you okay? You've been acting differently."

Gianna knew she wasn't as affectionate or attentive when it came to Miles. She was distancing herself from him to refrain from growing any more attached to him than she already was. She couldn't completely and abruptly cut him off and figured silently drawing back was the most efficient way to go. She knew she wanted to be with him and work it out, but it the reality of it all was scary.