Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

~ Noah ~

I could feel Ash's gaze burning a hole in the back of my neck as I slid another version of my work-in-progress over the bar towards Dex. When I'd actually last looked at my boss, he hadn't been exactly glaring; there had been a frown on his face, but it had been more of a puzzled one.

That had been almost half an hour ago.

Half an hour of me mixing up variations of the minty cocktail, while trying not to turn back and just scream 'Would you stop staring already?!'

Raising my voice to my boss was not a good idea, even if I'd figured out by now that Ash wouldn't fire me over it. He wouldn't be pleased, and he would let me know it, but he wouldn't fire me as long as I didn't make it a habit.

And as long as he didn't watch me like a hawk, I'd have no reason to shout at him.

Besides, I was sure he wasn't staring because he was dying for me to come up with something new for his menu. No. He was here because Dex was here, and he was staring because Dex had actually relaxed after we'd closed up for the night and he'd started on his role of my cocktail tester.

I still didn't have the slightest clue about what had shaken up both guys, but my plan to distract Dex had worked so much better than I'd expected, that's to say, it had actually worked.

Not only did it seem like Dex was too busy to think about whatever had upset them, but seeing his brother more relaxed, had calmed down Ash... Even if he'd switched from anger to 'what the fuck is going on' mode.

Erik, Jess, Gracie, and Mac had stayed behind after hours and seemed just as surprised at Dex's change in mood, and for some reason, the blonde waitress actually seemed excited. She was grinning, occasionally leaning sideways on her stool towards Gracie and whispering in the latter's ear. I knew they were all worried about the Bailey brothers, so I could understand being relieved, joyful even, but excited?

I'd have to ask Jess what that was all about.

But not now.

What mattered now was Dex.

I didn't even care if I'd figure out the right recipe for the cocktail tonight.

All I wanted was to help him.

"I don't like this one," Dex concluded, pushing the cocktail back and taking a gulp out of a bottle of mineral water. "Too sugary."

"I was thinking about omitting sugar from the mixture altogether," I admitted and got a nod from him. He took another sip of water, and then:

"I like the sugarless versions much better."

And in my mind, that settled it. Our most popular cocktails all had sugar in them, which was why I'd included the ingredient in this one in the first place, but I decided that regardless, this particular cocktail will go without it.

"Any more versions for me to try out?" Dex asked, but Ash beat me to a reply:

"I think you've had enough alcohol tonight."

I turned around to see him push himself off of the wall he'd been leaning on and approach the bar.

"And it's time to go home."

An odd sense of disappointment came over me.

I was happy that I'd managed to help Dex out, but even though I agreed with Ash that he'd had enough for one night, I wanted to prolong this and spend more time with the younger Bailey.