Chapter 3

~ Noah ~

A hand patted my shoulder and I turned towards its owner. Erik leaned down, raising his voice so I could hear him over the pumping music.

"That guy," he discreetly pointed at a man who was standing at the far edge of the bar, "likes to complain. A lot. Just listen and nod, but if you see him rubbing his shoulders, call for Mac or Gracie. The dude does that when he's had one too many and then he starts picking up fights."

"Thanks for the heads up," I shouted.

He nodded and looked about. No one was waiting for drinks, so he filled me in on what the regulars liked and who I should watch out for.

"And that one," this time he indicated at a blond, "likes to flirt with the bartenders."

"I'm not usually into blonds," I said as I leaned my hip against the bar. "Except maybe Scandinavians. There's just something about them."

"I'm Scandinavian. Sort of. My parents moved here from Sweden so I have the Scandinavian gene."

"I've noticed." I winked at him. Erik smiled and his shoulders shook as if he'd chuckled. He'd probably had, I just couldn't hear him with all the noise from the club.

"Sorry, dude. My sister is the gay one in the family," he reminded me, referring to one of the waitresses - Jess, who also happened to be Gracie's girlfriend.

"I can still enjoy the scenery, can't I?" I asked just as a group of about half a dozen guys approached and placed their order, cutting off our conversation and prompting us to get back to work.

The rest of the night was going on well with people coming and going, ordering sometimes in groups, sometimes just a couple of drinks. It wasn't slow enough for Erik to give me more pointers between patrons, but it wasn't fast enough for me to get anxious or tired. That would change, if I got through my probation period and started working the weekends. I didn't want to be anxious and tired, but more clients meant more tips and I could use the money. My other job at the grocery store didn't exactly help me build up savings for old age. Or even for a nice vacation.

I took a half-empty vodka bottle from the bar and turned around to put it in its place next to the other beverages on the shelves. By the time I turned back, someone new had approached. Someone new, yet someone I'd already met.

The handsome guy I'd pulled away from the speeding car a week ago stood frozen between two stools, his mouth opened in surprise or shock - I couldn't tell - his rounded eyes staring into mine, and for a moment all I could do was stare back.

And then I panicked.

I panicked because he'd obviously recognized me and my sudden presence around him would remind him of the time we'd first met, and he'd freak out, and then he'd make a scene, and then Ash will be angry, and then he'd fire me, and then I'd lose a promising job with co-workers I was quickly getting attached to...

Or maybe he wouldn't freak out, but he'd tell everyone what had happened and they'd make a big deal of it, and I'd feel awkward.

"What are you having?" I hurried to ask to distract him.

Think of the alcohol, not of me.

Heck, I was prepared to pay for his drink as long as that kept him quiet.

He closed his mouth, gulped, opened his mouth again...

This was not going well.

~ Dex ~

Say something, say something, say something...

But I couldn't. All I could do was wonder what the fuck he was doing here, realize that hey, he's behind the bar so he must be the new guy Jess told me about, and then wonder what were the odds of this happening. The gorgeous man who'd saved my life and ran off before I could say thank you was now here, working for my brother.