𝐵𝑒𝑐𝑎𝑢𝑠𝑒 𝑂𝑓 𝑀𝑒?

"Mom?" Y/n asked into the phone, her voice shaky as she fought back tears, hoping her mother wouldn't hear her gentle cries.

"Y/n? Are you alright? What's wrong?"

"Um... I don't feel too well... Can you come get me?"

"Yes, of course, give me five minutes, I'll be right there."

"Thanks Mom," Y/n replied, hanging up and taking a deep breath. She plugged in her earbuds and pressed play on her music. And of course the first song was Wrecked, which always made her cry, and her current situation made it no better. She sat outside the school, watching for her mother, wiping tears from her face a few times. Just as M/n said, she was there five minutes later. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Michael start to walk up to her. She didn't even look in his direction as she walked past and climbed into the car.

"I called the school and excused you. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," Y/n replied quietly. "Can we just go?" M/n dropped the subject, and drove off. Michael watched the car drive away, and his heart dropped. She looked so broken, lost, alone. And he felt like it was his fault.

*Time Skip*

Once they got home, Y/n went upstairs and shut herself in her room. M/n left her to cool off, which Y/n appreciated. She played her music and flopped on her bed, laying on her side and faced the wall. Her mind was racing a thousand miles a minute and she couldn't seem to relax.

A few minutes later, M/n came in with a plate of Y/n's favorite food and a glass of water and placed it on her bedside table. She sat beside her daughter on the bed and spoke softly. "You can tell me what happened when you're ready to. I'm not going to push, you just tell me when you're comfortable."

"Thanks Mom," Y/n whispered. She hugged a plush corgi to her chest and kept staring at the wall. The doorbell rang, so M/n stood up and headed towards the exit of Y/n's room.

"I'll be downstairs if you need me." M/n headed towards the front door and opened it, seeing Michael standing there with a few sunflowers in his hand.

He took a deep breath and started to speak. "Hello Mrs. L/n. Is Y/n here?"

"She's upstairs. She's pretty upset at the moment, let me ask if she'd be okay seeing you." M/n turned towards the stairwell and continued louder. "Y/n! Michael's here!"

"I don't want to see him!" Y/n called back, her voice somewhat muffled due to the distance.

"I'm sorry, Michael."

"You don't understand. I have to see her. I have to. Please."

M/n bit her lip slightly before stepping aside and letting Michael in. "If she says anything, blame me. Say that I let you in."

"Alright. Thank you." Michael sent M/n a soft smile before climbing the stairs and slowly turned the doorknob to enter Y/n's room. "Hey Sunflower."

"I said I didn't want to see you."

"Can you just listen to what I'm going to say?"

"Why should I?"

"Y/n, just listen. I didn't kiss her, she kissed me, and I pushed her away."

Y/n scoffed. "You still let her do so."

"I didn't know she was going to. It caught me by surprise, it wasn't my fault. I pushed her away and went after you, she crossed a line."

"It still happened, Michael! She still clearly fell for you even though I told her not to! She crossed a boundary because you probably led her on!" Y/n was agitated, this was clear, and Michael remained calm so that the situation didn't escalate.

"Y/n, I know how it probably looks to you, but I don't like her. If I led her on, I didn't mean to. As soon as she did that, and I saw the look on your face, I felt horrible. I never want to see that look on your face again."

"Doesn't matter what look I had on my face! She still kissed you and you let it happen!" Y/n stood up and started walking towards him. "So don't say that you don't like her because if you didn't, you would have stopped her. I already lost one friend this week, and now it looks like-"

Michael held the sunflowers in between them and she stopped. The yellow plants smiled up at her with happy, sunny petals. She fingered the soft petals and the soft aroma filled her nose. They smelled like sunshine and summer to her.

"I'm sorry. I truly am," he whispered to her. "If there was a bigger word than sorry, I would say it. I should have done more to stop it. I hope you can forgive me."

Y/n looked up at him with tears in her eyes. "You remembered."

"Of course I did. It's your nickname for a reason," he said, pushing a piece of hair behind her ear. He caressed her cheek with his thumb, and she leaned into his touch. Y/n moved his hand to the side slightly and hugged him tightly, burying her face in the crook of his neck, her fingers getting tangled in his curls.

"I'm sorry," she uttered. "I'm sorry for getting mad. I'm sorry for what I said. I'm sorry for everything."

"Hey, hey, hey, it's okay. It's okay," Michael told her, placing his hand on the back of her head. He placed the flowers on her desk and held her close, swaying to the song that currently played on her speaker, which happened to be Ferris Wheel. The two swayed in a circle, and Michael began to hum the turn of the song.

"I didn't know you knew this song."

"I memorized it. Because of you," Michael answered.

Y/n pulled away slightly and looked at him. "Because of me?"

"Of course. You like Imagine Dragons, so when I had the idea to take you to one of their concerts, I started listening to them more, and this song is a personal favorite," he explained with a smile.

Y/n smiled back, a slight blush filling her face. She swiftly leaned forward and kissed his cheek, pulling back just as fast. Now it was his turn to blush. "I forgive you, by the way." He grinned and spun her around before pulling her close once again as she laughed.

From the kitchen, M/n could hear them laughing, and she smiled. She knew then that she made the right decision in letting him in instead of sending him away. She knew her daughter wanted him there, even though Y/n said she didn't want to see him. Call it the mom instinct, but she knew.

And if she knew anything, which she did, she didn't doubt that something would blossom between them.

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

A/N: Here is my apology, I hope you liked it, love ya!