o n e - the music hall

Start from the beginning

My fingers brushed against the piano keys, a soft melody filling the old room. I'd always imagine the place come to life, before me would be an audience, white hot flashlights trained on me as I sang my songs. They watched me with awe, my music filled with passion and soul. Ladies and gentleman would be dressed in the finest of silks and laces and expensive tuxes and leather shoes.

As the melody softened, eventually dying down, the audience sprang animatedly from their seats, clapping in anticipation. I would bow and the cheering would get louder.

My heart leapt out of my chest once I realized that the clapping I'd imagined in my head, actually came from behind me. I whirled around, unsteadily, nearly falling forward. I eyed my intruder with caution, not saying anything as his clapping lessened.

"You have a really beautiful voice," He complimented. His face was familiar, dark hair tumbling in waves over his forehead as his gaze fixated on me.

"I'm sorry," I started softly, clearing my throat so that he could hear me better, "I didn't realize somebody was actually in here." I hurriedly grabbed my backpack from the door, unlocking it and tugging on the handle. Silently I rushed out of the room, grateful for the bell ringing in the distance, signalling first period.

The cliché dream of being a surgeon had always made me work a little extra harder at school, I wordlessly slipped in my Biology classroom, grabbing the books I need for the next hour.

When lunch came, I knew that I wanted to go back to the music room, being disrupted this morning had cut my piano time short.

I didn't make it, though.

Kara Taylor, the girl who had been making my life hell ever since the accident, would find me at any chance just to make my day a little more difficult.

"Hey Flabby, what you up to?" Kara crossed her arms over her implanted chest, she was dressed in pink, as usual. The exact person I dreaded seeing every day. I turned away, deciding that I could always come back later, but it was seconds later when I heard her frisky heels echoing against the polished floors as she followed me.

"What do you want?" I snapped, regretting it instantly. I saw Kara's quirky smile turn to a pout, but her eyes were dark. She stepped forward, pushing me back into the wall. "Don't you dare speak to me like that, you useless person!" She sneered, some kids behind her snickered. "Maybe I should teach you a lesson, then you won't disrespect me so much." She slammed full force into my body, knocking my figure into the metal lockers behind me. Her friends closed in on me, leaving no hole for escaping.

I could feel my breath stuck in my throat as she stepped forward, caging me in. No escape. "You know, you deserve this Nora. Nobody likes a tattle tale, right? Really I'm just making the world a better place for everyone. You should do us the favor and kill yourself, it would make my life really a lot easier."

"I don't know what your problem is." I muttered, rubbing my elbow on the spot it had banged on the metal behind me.

"The answer is simple, Nora. You. If you hadn't existed, a lot of people would be positively affected. Including Hannah." I winced at the mentioning of Hannah's name. It had been awhile since Kara had used that card on me. "But you see, here you are and Hannah had to be the one to die. I'd trade you any day." Kara was dangerously close to my face now, the strong scent of her perfume burning my nostrils.

"Okay, Kara, leave her alone." Somebody behind her pitched, pulling her by the arm and I inhaled a breath of fresh air, unpolluted of perfume.

"Back off Jase." She snapped. It was the guy from the music hall earlier today. He was wearing a navy colored shirt that hugged his well-built figure endlessly. "This is not something you want to get involved in!"