Fourteen.

We couldn't let go of each others' hand. Us and the whole crew were sat at a long table located in one of the most lavish restaurants Vegas had to offer and it was all on Carter. Sammy was feeding me some of his chicken and I was feeding him some of my stir-fried vegetables.

"You guys are so cute," Maggie beamed, leaning on Carter's shoulder.

"Yeah," Orion nodded. "Very cute."

Orion's tone didn't exactly match Maggie's. If anything, she looked bothered. But I wasn't going to let it ruin the moment. I was finally happy and I wish she understood that.

"I thought you guys were just friends," Swazz inquired.

"Something like that," Sammy smiled bashfully. "For now, at least."

Orion tossed her cloth napkin onto the table and stood up.

"I'm gonna go to the ladies room. Join me, Harlow?"

"Um," I shrugged. "Okay."

I kissed Sammy before I got up and followed her to the restrooms. She waited until a woman walked out before she decided to speak her mind. I knew this would happen.

"What are you doing," she asked quietly.

"What do you mean?"

"Did you break it off with Nick?"

I shifted my weight onto my other leg, looking around nervously.

"No."

"Harlow!"

"What? Look, there are things going on far beyond what you already know."

"Try me." She folded her arms.

"He beat me again," I stated. "Not to mention he's doing a lot of illegal shit. We have someone looking into it."

"Like an investigator?"

"...Not exactly."

"Harlow," she took a deep breath. "Do you have any idea the possible danger you could be causing to yourself? Not to mention Sammy? Just go to the cops, show them your bruises, and that's it."

"And what about the other shit, O? He's threatening me if I even think about leaving him! Shit, if he found out I told you, he'd choke me to death."

I walked over to the sink and impulsively washed my hands.

"You're a mess," she said as she leaned against the tiled wall.

"You think I don't know that? Look, I'll figure it out as I go, okay?"

"I'm worried."

"I know. I am too. But I need you to just be my friend and trust me."

"Okay," she gave in. "But just so you know...the last time you told me to trust you, you almost put yourself in the hospital over Trevor & Miriam."

She left the restroom and I was left in the silence to remember that horrible time in my life. I remember thinking Trevor was my air and without him, I'd suffocate. All the begging, pleading, and crying eventually caught up with me. I was downing vodka like it was water and almost jumped off a high bridge just to see if I could feel the impact. I wasn't trying to kill myself, but at the time, I didn't mind it if that ended up being the case. And all over a stupid guy. That was an all-time low for me. Now I'm at another low where a man is in control of how I'm supposed to feel. Only this time, I'm letting him hurt me physically as well as emotionally. I know what I'd done to Nick was wrong but that was never a reason for his abuse.