Prologue - 9 Years Ago

"Okay, one more round and then you have to finish your homework," I told 10 year old Sammy. "Promise?"

"Yeah," he answered. "I promise."

We were playing Mario Kart and I was letting him win, being the nice babysitter I was.

"Harlow?" He asked.

"Hmm? Oooh! Just missed me!" I reacted to both him and the game.

"Got a boyfriend?"

"Yeah right," I chuckled. "Boys don't know I exist. I'm totally transparent."

"Transparent?"

"Invisible."

"But I see you. I always see you," he innocently responded.

I genuinely smiled amongst the sounds of the buttons clicking on our controllers. It was the sweetest thing I've ever been told...considering a week ago I was totally ignored by my crush, Dylan. He's a senior, I'm a junior, our only connection is through my best friend, Miriam. She knows everyone you should know in order to make high school a smooth sailing experience. While I was still trying to figure how to wear clothes that matched, Miriam had already mastered it and guys always noticed her first. But it never got to her head and she has never been less than a friend to me.

"Thanks kiddo. If only you were a few years older," I joked. "Haha, got the coin before you did."

"You know, my friends at school make fun of me for liking girls in my class. They think they're ugly. I can't help it I'm a ladies man."

I choked and laughed. "Ladies man? Sam, you're 10."

"If I'm gonna get married one day, I gotta start finding the girl of my dreams as soon as possible," he stated as he moved his body with the Racer on his screen. "Then she can cook for me and tell me she loves me."

"Oh really?" I raised an eyebrow. "And why can't you do those things for her?"

"I will. I make a mean mac & cheese."

"You make Easy Mac," I chuckled.

"But it's good isn't it?"

"Okay, Sammy."

"You're gonna be my girlfriend one day," he says nonchalantly.

I choked on the popcorn I just threw into my mouth, turning into a laugh. "Alright loverboy, take it easy."

"Why? You're the only woman I trust." He hits the X button repeatedly & fast. "Besides my mom of course...and Gramma."

"Woman? Hmm...So you think 16 year olds are women?"

"From where I'm standing, yeah."

He was wise for his age, but still a child. A cute child that watched entirely too much MTV shows for his own good.

"I'm turning 11 soon," he went on. "Two more years and then I'll be a man."

My mouth was wide open with laughter. I felt bad for laughing but this seriously belonged on America's Funniest Home Videos. Suddenly my cell phone rang and it was Miriam. 

"Hey girl, still babysitting?" She asked.

"Hey Mir. Yeah, here til 10."

"Bummer. We're going to the movies and guess who's gonna show up?"

"Who?"

"Dylan," she giggled.

"Dylan?!"

"Who the hell is Dylan," Sammy asks in the background.

"Hey," I snapped my fingers at him. "Language! Anyway....oh my god, Mir. Can you guys like, stop by or something?"

"No can do babe, I'm not driving. I'll talk to you later and tell you everything, okay?"

"Okay, have fun for me."

After hanging up, I realized I wasn't paying attention to the game and Sammy had won.

"Well," I sighed. "Homework time anyway...for both of us."

"Do I have to?" Sammy whined.

"Yes, yes, now come on."

Sammy got off the couch and went to the dining room table while I shut off the game and cleaned any stray pieces of popcorn off the couch. Then I took out my literature textbook and got to studying.

"Harlow?"

"Hmm?"

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Aww," I chuckled from the couch. "I'll tell you what. If I'm single by the time you're 18 and you're still interested, we can go on a date, okay?"

"I'm holding you to it," he said.

"Okay," I mocked in the same tone.

"I'm serious, I'm not gonna forget. I never forget."

"Homework, Sam."

"Okay," he snickered. "But after I'm done, can we play hide & go seek? I found a new hiding spot."

"Sure, kid. Whatever you want."

Little boys these days say the darndest things. Who is he trying to fool? I'm going to marry Leonardo DiCaprio anyway. No one beats Leo.