Chapter 7.2 - Contradicting Truths

Start from the beginning

The day of the results came. Unlike on the day of the exam, everyone was nervous about the actual outcome. Even though they thought they all did alright, the questions were more difficult than the ones on the midterms

The moment came, and Chabashira-sensei entered the classroom with two big posters in her hands. She had a serious expression on her face, which didn't reassure the class in the least.

"I will now reveal the Paper Shuffle special exam results," she said as she attached the first poster on the blackboard.

The class was silent as they were reading what was written on the poster.

There was a table with three columns. The first simply named the classes. The second indicated the class' average over the eight subjects. The final one indicated the change in class points.

I looked over the poster.

Class A | 75.9 | +100
Class B | 73.8 | - 100
Class C | 80.7 | + 100
Class D | 65.3 | - 100

Meaning that these will the new class rankings with the updated class points for the month of January.

Class A | 1370 cp (+100 cp)
Class B | 1112 cp (-100 cp)
Class C | 902 cp (+100 cp)
Class D | 80 cp (-100 cp)

The gap between the Class D and the other three classes was starting to get ridiculously big.

"There are the bad news. Class C beat you in terms of average points. As a result, the class lost 100 class points," Chabashira-sensei finally said in disappointment, "Class D now has less than 100 class points, again."

"What?"

"We lost?"

"They got higher scores than Class A and B?"

"There's no way, they're all a bunch of idiots!"

"They cheated!"

"No way!"

"Ayanokouji! I'm sure you lowered your scores on purpose!" Yamauchi screamed.

"Sensei, can you reveal the class' scores?" I asked her, ignoring Yamauchi's comment.

"Don't ignore me you bastard!"

"Yamauchi, shut your useless mouth for once," Chabashira-sensei coldly said as she put the other poster on the blackboard, "Here are the good news, nobody got expelled."

The poster showed a huge table. On the left side was the side showing the individual scores of everyone per subject. The right side showed the total score of each pairing and if they passed.

I looked over the left side of the poster.

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka | 100 | 100 | 100 | 100 | 100 | 100 | 100 | 100
...
Sudou Ken | 60 | 62 | 67 | 64 | 63 | 62 | 61 | 69

Ken's scores improved a lot since the beginning of the year, I must say. I then looked over the right side.

Ayanokouji / Sudou | 1 308 | Passed

Looking at the other scores, we had the highest total in the class.

"Ayanokouji... got perfect scores?" Yamauchi said.