SS. 2 - Sakayanagi Arisu: Reunion

I could still recall the scene across the glass screen on that day as if it had occurred only yesterday.

My father took me to a facility located deep within the mountains, its exterior dyed a pure white. No, it wasn't only the exterior.

As far as I could remember, both the corridors and the small rooms we went through were all painted in one single white color.

I placed both my hands on the transparent glass, doing my very best to see what lied beyond. The screen seemed to be some sort of one-way mirror so they couldn't see us from the other side.

I could see children on the other side of the mirror. Children with talent, children without, everyone was partaking in this education program equally. It was a program where the people who start to fall behind would disappear one by one.

When it came to accomplishing the tasks presented to them, every child reflected in my eyes succeeded. However, they were desperate. It was obvious that doing so took all the effort they could muster. Whether it was studying or sports, the level of competition here was far beyond that of a normal child. And yet, amongst them was a single existence exhibiting abnormality.

A certain boy was playing chess and overwhelmingly defeating his opponents, one after the next. Among the children I could see beyond the glass, he was the only existence snatching away my gaze and heart. Seeing this, my father looked somewhat happy yet somewhat sad as he nodded.

"Yes, he is Sensei's son. His name should be... Ayanokouji... Kiyotaka if I remember correctly."

"He's Sensei's child so his DNA must be excellent, right?"

"Who knows. At least, Sensei has never graduated from a top university or possessed outstanding athleticism. His wife is also an ordinary woman. Their parents never showed signs of any talents either. But, Sensei has stronger ambitions than anyone and an unyielding and indomitable fighting spirit, that's it. That's why he has become so great. To the extent that he, at one point in time, could move the country."

"In that case— won't that child be the perfect specimen for this experiment?"

My father nodded with conflicting feelings at my question.

"Well... I think his father would probably feel like that child is perfect for it. But... as I see it, I can't help but feel sorry for him."

"Why is that?"

"From the very moment he was born, he has lived within these facilities. For him, the first thing he saw wasn't his mother nor his father, but the plain white ceiling of this facility. If he had fallen behind earlier, he could've probably lived with his father. Or no, maybe the fact that he continues to stay here had gotten him his father's favor. If so, that's very..."

Simply put, he hadn't ever received any love from his parents. How lonely and desolate such a life must be. His talents aside, there was still a lot to gain and learn through physical contact with other people. I strongly hugged my beloved father, to which he hugged me back.

"Do you not like this place, Father?"

"Hmm? ...Who knows? ...I honestly can't cheer it on. If the children here really become superior to everyone else, if this facility becomes the natural thing, then this must just be the misfortunate beginning. That's what I think."

"Rest assured. I will personally smash it for you. I will prove that talent is not decided by education, but from the moment people are born."

"Yes, I'm expecting lots of you, Arisu."

"By the way father. I think I want to start playing chess."

********

I start high school in precisely a week. I'm not particularly looking forward to it yet, but I hope that changes soon. Though I guess I'm somewhat looking forward to seeing my classmates and the rest of the first-years.