Ch 6

Izuku was excited yet nervous to meet Shoto's family. Endeavor was really intense and judgmental, but he relaxed receiving a welcoming greeting from Fuyumi, Shoto's sister. Natsuo was alright to be around. Endeavor was quite most of the dinner. It wasn't until he noticed Izuku's ring mark.

"Who's your soulmate?" Enji asked out of the blue. 

Midoriya's feature grew slightly annoyed at the thought of him. "Katsuki Bakugou."

"You mean the feral brat that won first place at the sports festival?"

Todoroki chimed in. "He wants to sever the bond, but Bakugou won't let him. Sounds familiar doesn't it?"

Fuyumi's eyes went wide, and Natsuo softly chuckled to himself. Midoriya sense there was something going on, like an elephant in the room. Enji let the comment go and continued the conversation. 

"Shoto rejected his soulmate too. Perhaps you two might get along." Enji hinted. 

Midoriya's face grew beet red. Shoto glared at his father.

Endeavor shrugged, "I'm just surprised you let it happen, Shoto. An empty ring finger looks bad on a hero."

Izuku froze with realization. "What did you say?"

"It's true," Enji declared. "If a hero doesn't have a ring mark, it either means their soulmate rejected them, or they rejected their soulmate. Soulmates are fate, so you'd have to be a pretty terrible person to not have one."

Shoto scolded his father and suggested to move on with a different conversation. However, Izuku's head was in a whirl, piecing things together. If what Endeavor said was true, then the real reason Bakugou didn't want to sever the bond was to make him look better. Midoriya was enraged. 

The theory sounded perfect for an upcoming ambitious hero who wanted to be the best. If Bakugou lost his mark after flaunting it like a peacock, his reputation would go down the drain in the public's eye. 

When dinner was over, Midoriya helped Shoto clean up. Shoto noticed his friend's mood change after his father's invasive question. 

"I'm sorry if my father made you feel uncomfortable." Shoto apologized. 

"Actually," Izuku admitted, "he helped me realize why Kacchan won't let me break the bond. He wants to look good. It has nothing to do with me."

"You really think so?"

Izuku huffed, "I know so. He's never cared before, and I'm sure a stupid mark isn't enough to change his mind."

Todoroki felt bad for him. There wasn't much he could do, but a small thought came to his head. Out of nowhere, Shoto disappeared for a moment. When he returned, there was a black ring in his hand. 

"Before Momo and I decided to officially break our bond, I wore this to cover my mark." Shoto explained, tossing it to Izuku. "You can have it to cover yours."

Izuku beamed and slid it over his mark, covering it completely. He admired it for a moment and thanked Shoto for the help. The mark was still there, but at least it was out of sight and out of mind. 

Even though he felt more empowered, Izuku felt this slight feeling of guilt. For a split second, he asked himself, "Should I go through with it?"

~_~_~_~_~

Follow, Vote, and Comment!

Toodles~