sixtyeight.

Mulai dari awal

But you'll never stop fighting to live another day, the cynical voice reminds me harshly.

Finding my fragile and tired resolve, I stand, heading for the door.

Tori greets me as I stalk out of the trailer, she smiles at the sight of my appearance. "Ready?" She inquires. "Jerry gave the signal. Mags is waiting for you." I sigh, it's almost show time.

"Always." I grin at Jamie lurking over her shoulder. I step towards him, pulling him into a hug. "It's good to see you. Sorry I've been missing, kiddo. How are you doing?"

"I'm okay. They are coming, aren't they?" A frown etches into his innocent face. I'm taken aback as I see the stark contrast between him and Carl. I search his face; Carl was once this scared until he didn't have a choice to be anything, but the warrior he was when he died. Jamie will find his inner strength; I just hope he won't suffer the same fate.

I peer over my shoulder, "you're sitting this one out, Tor. Stay with him and Judith this time. I assume the kids are hiding in the main house?" She nods, accepting my demand. I return my focus on the boy, "Tori will keep you safe. I'll be fighting with everyone else, making sure they can't hurt you." I press a kiss atop his head. "I'll die before they hurt you, okay?"

His arms wrap around my stomach, pulling me close. "Don't die. When I'm older, I'll protect you and Tori, okay?"

My eyes widen at his statement, as I'm left speechless. He lets go, walking towards the house with Tori at his side. Tori wraps her arms around his shoulders on their trek, keeping him close. When the shock wears off, I shake my head, smirking. That kid is going to be something fierce when he's ready. But I'll protect him as long as I can. I know I'll have to start sitting in the back seat of the fights once I get deeper into my pregnancy, but I'm not ready. Maybe in the second trimester. Maybe, just maybe.

Maggie meets me at the porch, nodding as I approach. "I know you've been fighting for a long time, but I need you at my side. Daryl and Rick aren't here." She declares. I cock my head, observing her beautiful face. Stress dances on her face, but something dark lurks right underneath it. What did you do?

"You got it." I offer, deciding I don't want to know.

I lean my back against the railing, beginning to sharpen the blades of my swords, ticking off the minutes, not caring of the silence descending between the two of us. Since I had my hand in Glenn's death, we aren't close as we once were. She claims to not blame me or hold any malice towards me and my husband, but I do, and I know he does, too.

In the corner of my eye, I spot Maggie watching me. "What?" I ask without glancing at her.

"Daryl told me you're his wife now." I nod, keeping my eyes trained on the swords in my hand. "Why didn't you tell me?"

I sigh, "Mags, it was in the middle of this," I gesture to the people gearing up, ready to make a stand against the Saviors for the second time in just a few days. "It was at the Kingdom right after we just got reunited. After..." I trail off, swallowing the lump, "you just lost Glenn. I'm not going to put that on you. It didn't feel right."

She shakes her head, "I'm still happy for you, regardless. You deserve each other." She places her hand along my shoulder. I glance up at the brick wall in front of me, trying to keep my emotions at bay. The saviors will be here anytime, and I can't be a mess.

"Thank you," I whisper. Noise from outside the gates drags my attention over my shoulder. I listen as several feet begin to kiss to the ground. I lock eyes with Maggie. "Show time," I whisper. She nods, taking out the radio while I replace one of my blades with a gun. Now, I have a sword in my right hand and pistol in the left hand.