01 | Chapter One

Fuck New Year's Eve

Fuck New Year's Eve.

There, I said it. Someone had to. 

I can't be the only one who just isn't feeling it this year. Or any other year. Something about the act of ringing in the new year just never sat right with me. 

How is it we can have so many problems one day then the next... boom. It's a new year and all our problems disappear? Right? No. Life doesn't work that way. 

Maybe I'm just cynical, or maybe I'm getting old. Either way, the party currently bouncing my house on its foundation is the exact type of celebration I despise. Yet, here I am.

I've always had a lot of friends. If you could even call them that. There are so many people at my house. I couldn't count them all even if I tried. Yet, I don't know them. They don't know me. They know my name. They know my band, but that's just it. 

I scan the room, desperate for a familiar face. For the one familiar face I want to see, but she's nowhere in sight. Instead, my eyes land on Reggie. 

Groaning, I push off of the wall and walk towards him. "Hey man, have you seen Brodie anywhere?" I ask, the desperation clear in my tone. He glances over at me, frowning. If I don't find her soon, I might have to hand out missing person posters.

'Missing: Brodie. Beloved girlfriend, friend, sister and daughter. If found, please return to Carter Grey.'

He thinks to himself for a moment, scanning through that brain of his for any information, before answering. "Nah, man, not for a while. I saw her earlier with Allie, but that was a while ago." I glower, and his face softens a bit, watching me. 

He lifts one of his two beers to his mouth and grins wide. I study the ground, choosing not to let it be known or seen that I'm annoyed. Maybe even a little upset right now.

Credit when credit is due, Brodie is doing a great job of hiding tonight. But hiding from what? Who fucking knows.

When I was with her earlier, nothing seemed off; she was being her usual happy, flirtatious self, promising me all these dirty things for later tonight when we are alone. Honestly, though, I just hope she's okay. 

Reggie hands me a beer before reaching into the back pocket of his jeans, producing a new one for himself. "Ta-da!" he thrusts the beer high in the air, before dangling it in front of my face like a trophy. I chuckle and shake my head. 

Reggie is the only person I expect this from. And I don't want to know if, and where, he is hiding other things. Being drunk switches off the best parts of your brain and leaves the fool behind to run your life. Sometimes, he might run your mouth. Reggie is a walking example.

"Why do you have a beer in your back pocket?" I question, hiding my amusement the best I can by taking a sip of my drink. He shrugs and gives me his best smile. I glance down at my beer and then back at Reggie, his stupid smile still on his face.