Chapter 4

Back in the land of the dead, Alastor sat in a coffin, looking at the small flower Alaina had given to him when they first met.

He sighed heavily and shook his head. "I'm too late" he let the flower drop from his hand and flutter to the ground.

He then heard Angel talking with someone.

"Oh, Mrs. Plum, what am I going to do? He just walked off without saying a word. Are all men like this?"

Plum laughed softly. "Well, I'm afraid none of them are very bright. They get something stuck in their heads and you can't do a thing with them"

Lucifer then walked into the room and cleared his throat. "Angel, we need to talk"

"Let me tell him, please. Let me tell him" Cherri exclaimed with an excited smile.

Angel turned around and looked at Lucifer in curiosity. "What?"

"There is a complication with your marriage"

"I don't understand"

"The vows are binding only until death do you part"

"What are you saying?"

"Death has already parted you"

Angel gasped. "If he finds out, he'll leave. There must be something you can do"

"Well, there is one way"

"Oh, please, please, let me tell him" Cherri giggled softly.

"It requires the greatest sacrifice"

"Go on, get to the good part"

"What is it?"

"We have to kill him!" Cherri exclaimed in a fit of maniacal giggles.

Angel's eyes widened. "What?"

"Alastor would have to give up the life he had forever. He would need to repeat his vows in the land of the living and drink from the wine of ages"

Angel gasped softly. "Poison!"

"This would stop his heart forever. Only then would he be free to give it to you"

Angel quickly shook his head. "I could never ask him to do something like that" he slumped to his knees.

It was then that Alastor appeared in the room, having heard the entire conversation.

"You don't have to" he spoke, causing Angel to quickly look up at him.

"I'll do it" he said softly.

"My boy, if you choose this path, you may never return to the world above. Do you understand?"

Alastor smiled lovingly at Angel and held his hand, helping him to his feet. "I do"

Angel and Alastor decided to announce their plans in the town square.

"Gather round. Gather round, everybody" Alastor called out.

"We've decided to do this thing properly. So grab what you can and follow us. We're moving this wedding party upstairs"

Everyone began to cheer.

"A wedding, a wedding, we're going to have a wedding"

Alastor was about to walk off when Charlie stopped him. "Hold on, Alastor. You can't get married looking like that"