Chapter 1

Sitting at a desk near a window, Alastor opened his sketchbook, he dipped his quill pen in some ink and began to draw a butterfly.

He smiled at his work, then leaned back in his chair and sighed, he was trying to find something to calm his nerves.

He was expected to marry the daughter of a Lord and Lady, it was so nerve wracking, especially for someone of his background.

He opened the window, then let the butterfly out of the glass case it had been in to allow him to sketch it, he smiled, watching as it flew away.

The clock tower chimed a few times as the people bustled about the streets of the town square, everything seemed dull and lifeless as people tended to their jobs or rode off in a horse drawn carriage.

People greeted each other as they walked past each other down the street.

A man who seemed a bit suspicious was walking down the street, watching as Alastor's parents were getting into the carriage, a smirk formed on his face, he was scheming something.

"Hear ye! Hear ye! Ten minutes until LeBlanc's wedding rehearsal!" The Village newsman yelled while ringing his bell.

Through the open window, Alastor saw the carriage pull up to his house, he frowned and sighed to himself, watching as his parents walked out of the house and towards the carriage.

"It's a beautiful day" his mother said with a smile

"It's a rather nice day" his father replied, walking beside her to the carriage and opening the door for her

"A day for a beautiful wedding"

"Just a rehearsal, my dear, to be perfectly clear"

"A rehearsal for a glorious wedding"

"Assuming nothing happens that we don't really know"

"That nothing unexpected interferes with the show"

"And that's why everything, every last little thing, every single, tiny, microscopic little thing must go according to plan"

"Our son will be married"

"According to plan"

"Our family carried"

"Elevated to the heights of society"

"To the costume balls"

"To the hallowed halls"

"Rubbing elbows with the finest"

"Having crumpets with her highness"

"We'll be there, we'll be seen, having tea with the queen, and we'll forget everything that we've ever, ever been"

Abigail, Alastor's mother, was then helped into the carriage, but the much-too-large dress she wore got stuck.

"Where's Alastor? We might be late!" she exclaimed as her husband and Matthew, a friend of theirs and the carriage driver, helped shove her dress into the carriage.

~*~

From the window of a decent sized mansion, Alaina's parents watched as Alastor and his parents got into the carriage.

Alaina's mother scoffed. "Tailors. Oh, it's a terrible day"

"Now, don't be that way" her father patted his wife on the shoulder, she solemnly shook her head.

"It's a terrible day for a wedding"

"It's a sad, sad state of affairs we're in"