Chapter 20: Fish Out Of Water

Start from the beginning

"Sorry buddy you're a bit slow." Zane laughs.
"You know how hard it is to find a dry towel?" Drew laughs too.
"Oh trust me. We know!" Emma joins.
"You can dry yourself off." Rikki says.
"Harsh." Zane laughs.
"I'm not apart of the seafood squad?" Drew says sarcastically.
"Hey!" we all say, on the verge of
cracking up with laughter.
"Let's get a move on. We need to find Denman." Emma says finally, reminding us of the importance.

We all decide to split up. Emma and Cleo go together, Zane and Rikki, then Drew and I. We all have phones on us to keep us all updated. 

Emma and Cleo go out to Mako Island to check there, Zane and Rikki check the beaches and Drew and I stay on the pier. We figured those are the most likely places we'll find her, we've also got Lewis on the lookout just in case. 

As we're walking along the pier I recognise someone familiar. Mum.

"Pops." Mum approaches me.
"Hi..." I feel awkward, it still doesn't feel real to see her. "Denman trapped us." I blurt out.
"What?" Mum looks shocked, "that was not our plan at all."
"I need to find her." I demand.
"Okay I'll uh, I'll text her." Mum reassures, "it was nice seeing you." 
"Wait don't go." I ask before she walks away. "Drew, can we have a moment?"

Drew nods and walks away. Mum looks at me curiously. I want to ask her everything, I'm not ready to share all of my family drama with Drew yet. I need to be able to have a one-on-one conversation with her. So here it goes. "Why did you leave us?" I ask, to the point. "why were you researching mermaids?" I add.

"Okay, Pops. First of all, I want you to know I didn't leave you. I followed my research." she begins. "I noticed something was suspicious when I was in Ireland. I was investigating a man over there that works in hotel management. I started to notice his daughter, a girl your age, acting suspiciously. She'd run into the ocean and disappear for hours on end. I wanted to figure out what was going on. Once I figured out mermaids existed I didn't tell anyone, not even your father. I started acting distant with him, begging him to move our family somewhere coastal so I could pursue mermaids secretly. He didn't see any reason to but I knew I had to further my research. I travelled around the coast of several countries and investigated independently for years when I eventually reached out to Dr Denman for additional resources. I'm so sorry she hurt you. I obviously never wanted you to get involved. I can't believe you're a mermaid living on the Gold Coast. It's like karma is kicking me in the butt for leaving you. I understand now that I can't keep researching mermaids, it could exploit you. I can't let that happen."

My eyes start to water. That was a lot to digest. There are other mermaids? Mum knew about mermaids well and truly before I became one. I can't believe she's still working with Dr Denman. The fact that Denman was willing to hurt us to pursue the research is so scary. 

"Thanks Mum." I smile, "that clears things up."
"Let me text Denman. We'll find her." she says. 

Ms Stevens: Denman, I've got a good lead. Meet me at the research boat. 
Dr Denman: Be there shortly.

I notice Dr Denman's prompt reply so I message the group.

Poppy: Come back to the pier. Denman's coming.
Rikki: On our way.
Emma: Cleo and I just got back to the mainland good timing. We'll swim over now x
Lewis: I'm on my way. 

Everyone arrives at almost the same time, except Denman which is lucky. I'm glad the gang got here first. Cleo and Emma dry off, thanks to Rikki's help, as just as they hop up. Dr Denman approaches us.

We each raise our hand at her, threatening her with our powers.

"Dr Denman. Why did you threaten these girls? That wasn't our plan." Mum speaks up.
"C'mon, you know I could never do something like that. I was trying to help them, learn more about them to keep them safe." Denman explains.
"Then why did you give Emma and Cleo a sedative? Why did you kidnap Drew then use him as bait to tie me up too?" I argue.
"Poppy. If you're smart you'd now that was never my intention. You girls make it very difficult to get anything done." Denman argues back.
"You are not allowed to touch us. What you're doing is wrong. You need to focus on why you became a marine biologist in the first place." Cleo says.

Denman tries to approach us. Rikki lightly clenches her fist which causes Denman's face to turn a pink colour, I imagine because Denman is starting to feel hot.

"Consider this a warning. Leave. Us. Alone." Rikki spits. Denman simply nods, I think she gets the message. 
"I erased all of our research so far... with the help of techie Lewis." Mum informs Dr Denman, "it's time to move on."

"Okay." Denman admits defeat. She looks crushed. As she should though. 

Today, was a successful day. Or was it?

Drew knows about the secret. I don't know what my relationship with my mother will look like still. I guess we'll just see what happens.