Chapter 7: Secrets Out

"All four of you are mermaids?" Lewis asks for the hundredth time.
"Yep. It appears so." I respond.
"That is so cool." Lewis is completely in awe.
"Lewis, you do realise you have to keep this a secret." Rikki butts in.
"Well clearly! Do you know what would happen if someone found out? You'd be experimented on. You'd be locked in little tanks for people to do tests." Lewis says. The thought makes me shudder.
"Thanks Lewis. Means a lot that you'll protect the secret." Cleo chimes in. I see a smile form on Lewis's face.

♡♡♡

I get home and see the large pile of dishes waiting to be washed. I'm pretty sure it's my dishwashing day too. I've been able to avoid it as Dad volunteered for us the whole first week to help us adjust. But now that it's the weekend after school he's not going to let us cut the slack.

"Hey Dad I've been meaning to talk to you about the chores." I poke my head into his bedroom. He takes off his reading glasses and puts his book down beside him.
"Uh oh. What's going on kiddo?"
"Well, obviously I know I need to contribute to the household chores but dishes really aren't my thing." I pause to see where I can take this, "I'd love to get amongst nature and help out with the outside of the house instead."
"Oh really? I never really thought of you girls contributing to that."
"Well I'd love to change it up we've been doing the dishes forever! I want to learn how to garden, mow lawn, maintain the front yard, take out the bins... you know. Outdoorsy things." I suggest.
"That seems perfectly fair. Don't suppose you can do the dishes one last time though?"
"Sure Dad." I respond. Okay, how can I get out of it this time. I've got an idea.

Poppy: Cleo are you with Lewis?
Cleo: He's just about to leave, we just finished studying. What's up?
Poppy: I need a favour.
Cleo: Uh oh.
Poppy: Can he do the dishes for me? Haha!
Cleo: Oh easy peasy. He's coming now.

I hear the front door open and go downstairs to greet Lewis. Sure enough, he stands shamefully at the door. "Thanks Lewis. I owe you one."
"That's fine Poppy, I'm happy to help." he flashes a friendly smile.

Wow, it really is paying off to have a non-mermaid know our secret. Lewis chats about mermaids, quietly, and then somehow we get to talking about Cleo. I listen as Lewis innocently talks about what an amazing person Cleo is. He's saying it so casually but you can tell that his feelings are strong. Honestly, it's the sweetest thing ever, a boy better say these things about me one day. I wonder if Lewis knows how much he's revealing. He's kept our secret, so I can keep his.

Time flew by and it's now 8:00pm, it's been an hour since he came over. Lewis is such a great person! Wow, I am so grateful to have made some meaningful friendships in just the short time I've been here.

"Thanks again Lewis, and it was nice talking to you. I totally owe you."
"Don't worry about it! Thanks for being an ear." Lewis responds.

I close the door behind him and make my way upstairs. The party today feels like so long ago already. Boy, today was eventful. It could've been a whole lot more eventful if everyone didn't go inside, what are the chances of that? Everything worked out and it seems like it all worked out for the better.

♡♡♡

It's Sunday morning. I needed a sleep in. I check my phone and it's 8:30am. Not too shabby, usually I'd be at school at this time. There's some notifications from the girls so I read through them.

Cleo: Anyone down for a moonpool adventure.
Emma: I already went at sunrise with Rikki haha! I can go for a round 2 though x
Rikki: I woke up early to see what you guys were talking about and it was so worth it. Count me in for another swim!
Lewis: Wow I feel honoured to be added to the mermaid group chat.
Rikki: Welcome friend of the fishes.
Emma: What about you Poppy?
Rikki: OMG I didn't wake up last for once.