28 : Little Bumps

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Not now, Sophia. The room's reall a big mess."

"Hindi mo na nga ako pinatulong sa pag-design tapos ayaw mo pa--"

"She'll show it to us when we're ready." Mom stopped Sophia before she even moved.

"Sophia, get back here." Tawag sa kanya ni Uncle Peter. Bumalik si Sophia na nakanguso at tinabihan niya ako sa sofa.

There was a moment of silence before he decided to break it. 

"Pangalagaan mo ang mga iniwan ng ama mo, Ameiline. I don't like your way of thinking, and the ideas you believe in. You are reckless for leaving your family. You shouldn't be inheriting this much but I value the tradition and the rules. So please, take care of what my brother has left you with. Take care of that child, make family proud."

Tumango na lang ako tapos non tumayo na siya at naunang lumabas. 

Matagal kaming nagkatinginan ni Mom. "I have to do some document signing, I will visit again soon." Sabi niya. She then gave me the kindest gesture she can allow herself. She patted my shoulders then turned to leave.

"Problem solved." Sophia smiled at me as she squeezed my hand. "My father will be sulking for months, pero magiging okay rin siya. He has to honor the family codes, after all."

I don't want to say thank you, dahil hindi ko naman talaga pinagkaka-interesan ang mana ni Dad. Mas importante na lang sa akin na okay na si Mom at ang mga trabahador ni Dad sa farm na pinangakuan niya ng lupa.

"We have to go." Sophia stood then she suddenly looked like an idiot.

Sinundan ko ng tingin 'yung tingin ni Sophia. Standing by the doorway is Cameron, only with his pants on. He still has his morning face when he smiled and nodded at my cousin.

Parang gusto ko na lang mabaon sa kutson ng sofa.

"Now I understand why the room's a mess." My dear cousin was beaming. "Hello there, Mr. French guy." Nanlaki ang mata ko sa sinabi ni Sophia. "Great to see you again."

"Pleasure's mine, Sophia." He walked towards us. To much of my annoyance and embarrassment, he gave me a quick kiss on the lips. "Good morning, buttercup."

Nanliit ako sa mahinang tawa ng pinsan ko. "Wow. Buttercup, ang sweet naman." She then grabbed her purse when we heard a car honking outside. "Maiiwan ko na kayo. The old man is impatient. See you!"

Cam and I both watched as the car drove away. "What was that visit about? Was that your Mom?" Tanong sa akin ni Cameron habang nakakunot ang noo niya. "The man who was with them, I remember him."

I tried distracting him. "Cameron. Anong gusto mong almusal?"

"He's the one who slapped you the night your father died, wasn't he?"

I opened my mouth to tell a lie, but I can't. Ever since the day we decided to try again, I couldn't brave myself to hide anything from him again. "Yes."