Chapter 1

It was the early hours in the morning
when I was wild awake because of
amakhwela (whistles) in my room, one thing about these whistles they're very unbearable, I can't describe these sounds they are too difficult to predict to a human ear. Even my pyschologist can't help me. It all started when I was 7 and I guess I've just been brushing them away, well I don't
usually wake up before 9am yes I am like that, I believe "princesses" that what my dad calls me, should sleep till 10am. When I finally wake up I take my time with everything I do from brushing my teeth to bathing to eating let's not talk about the dragging of my feet right from the moment I wake up. I check the time under my pillow and my phone says it's 3am, I get out of bed and the tiles are soo cold. I stand by the window admiring the beauty of the stars, inyanga iphumile namhlanje (the moon is beautiful) it is so quiet...just as I was admiring the full moon I remember I have an assignment due this morning, shoot ! Amathonga ami angivusa nje ngenxa nje yesikole (my ancestors woke me up just because of school). I take my laptop and start typing...Oh sorry I didn't introduce myself, my name is Thingolwenkosazana Zungu I am 17 years old. Everyone refers to me as a spoiltbrat well I don't mind because it works for me.

Thingolwenkosazana
It's Monday morning, I'm definitely not adjusting to this thing of physically going to school, I've been home schooled for the past 11 years of my life then all of a sudden my dad wants me to experience the "real world" by enrolling me to a school, he didn't even ask how I feel about going there. This is the 2nd week of school and things are just not working out I am battling to adjust to the school's core rules, the other day they sent me home just because I had my nails artificially done, I just had them done in less than 7 days! and I had to go back home to remove them, they brought scissors with them and no I just couldn't I have an acetone liquid which can safely remove my nails, no extensions allowed in that school, I have to do cornrows?... just imagine !

"Nkosazana!" (princess)
That's my dad. "Coming baba" I shout from upstairs I guess it's time to leave, I look at myself in the mirror for the last time, eyebrows check ,lips check face card is not declining at least their uniform is cute hey blue and grey nice. I quickly rush downstairs my dad is no where to be seen. Awoa! I swear he's already inside the car. We are soo early, he has an early meeting that's the reason behind the rush I should have optioned for an uber, I get my bottle water from the fridge and lock the door. He's inside the SUV definitely my favourite ! I jump in the car. We live at Umhlanga Rocks one of the best places my dad and I have lived in, FYI my dad is one of the richest man in KZN he owns the biggest law firm in the province "N.Manzini Attorney". The car takes the N2 freeway heading to UMlazi, well yeah I attend Menzi High School, disturbing hey...I know. I wanted something like "Hilton College" but he says Menzi is the best school with high pass rate now I'm stuck here !
I am looking through the window thinking about how my life has changed I can feel him staring at me.

"Nkosazana, cheer up, this is your 2nd week and you still alive" he says taking out money from the dashboard

"I hope I stay alive" I can't hide the fact I don't like this idea of school.

"Take, I will fetch you a bit late " he gives me a blue note.

"Thanks" I jump off

He parks until I enter the gate, I turn and wave goodbye. Phew it kicks in I am here again I just decide to go and sit by my class, was allocated to us a week ago.
Thank God there's a desk, last time I
had to stand here until the bell rang, I check for my phone in my blazer it's not there oh hell no I can't find it...I check my bag oh here it is my heart nearly stopped for a second, it's only 6h41am
and the school only starts at 7h50am, I hear a person shouting, I look up, it's one of the teachers in the next class.