I.

It all began with the first ray of light as it was the predicament of everything for later to come.

A mere beat later I was there too, thrown into the endless void, cradled by the warmth provided by this brilliant illumination sweeping through the newborn universe. Utterly alone, I was wishing for an explanation, a hand to hold. Don't get me wrong, I was no child, I never had to be one, my endless existence contained no birth, nor it will have a death, but this doesn't make coming into being without a certain creator any easier. Thus an immense wave of depression tore through my soul. Everywhere my eyes wandered I only saw this slowly pulsating light leading me nowhere. Believe me, I tried to follow, and made futile attempts to call out for someone greater than me. I ended up going in circles.

In my grave pain, I'm uncertain how much time passed until I suddenly spotted a star, as alone as I was. I raced towards it in the yet empty space. This presence that was other and outside of mine made me feel something I've never felt before. Every ion of this star buzzing, whirling around had given me inspiration and strength to keep me going. For the first time in a long while, I was happy.
To express my joy I reached for the only things I knew how to form myself; words. I weaved them into the star itself with love and affection. Little did I know that I was given just a few minutes to craft my story, not nearly enough. I barely managed to note down the main goal of my plot and only that, before by exploding the star propelled me outwards to empty space. Shaken I turned back to investigate, searching for answers. What I found shocked me even more.

In the space of the star, I discovered a planet, exactly as I described in writing what the heavenly body would turn into. The climax of my prose came to reality seconds after being written. And I ascended onto the barren, still fuming earth. At that time the horizon was angry, radiating with the colours of red. I marked this occasion clearly in my memory, not wishing to forget my first achievement with my prose. Now as I tell you this, I don't remember many things coming after that moment in my existence. It was never my task to know everything I ever wrote, as I soon realized this would be my craft forever. To write the end purpose of anything coming into existence.

Eons passed while I loyally composed my sentences to every rock, river, mountain, and blade of grass. The landscape I knew turned from grey to blue, then, as continents emerged, to green. Wandering through the prehistoric forests sometimes I had the chance to spot beings much like me. Seven of them to be exact. I was told by them that they had their domains that they were the sovereigns of, unformed and yet incomplete. They had no role in their existence, so after convincing them that I am no threat, I offered my services. Hesitantly they accepted and the writing of my greatest work began. After telling me that they were never to die, I had to form my story as such, creating purposes that could be fulfilled continuously as long as time itself existed. I drew inspiration from their names. Being the eldest I started with Destiny, giving him a plot that later many confused with mine. So let me clarify early on: there is a vast difference between Destiny and Purpose. The latter is the reason for which something is created, while the former are the events that will necessarily happen in the future. I only focus on one occurrence in everything's life, in which it will reach its ultimate reason to exist, outside of that I don't need to know anything, otherwise, I might tread into Destiny's territory.

And I would never plan to do that, since against all the confusion surrounding our names we remained close friends.

Next came Death, her prose the most melodic out of them all. Her younger brother Dream received a beautiful task, which turned his realm into a wonderland. For Destruction, I used strong words, while Despair and Desire turned out somewhat softer, but not less ominous. All of this was observed by Delight, who continuously peeked over my shoulder, especially when I was creating the story for her. And after all of the Endless settled into their realms we set out to begin our work together. Soon the first humans appeared.