Chapter 9: Discovery

You run through the forest in search of the dark angel. You told Palutena you just wanted to clear your head a bit as an excuse to sneak out, and brought a book about greek letters with you just in case that might be useful. It was quite a hassle to get into the library unnoticed. Of course it's heavily guarded, but your arrival won't alarm the guards. The problem was Lady Palutena. She is getting suspicious of you. As a goddess she definitely noticed you sneaking out at night. The heavy doors of the palace open for you and you dash off into the woods.

Dark Pit was already waiting for you, leaning emoly against a tree. "Took you long enough." He remarks with a stupid smirk on his face. You roll your eyes and walk toward him. "Well, at least I showed up, emo shit." You say teasingly. Dark Pit looked away with an annoyed face. "Watch your words, dipshit."

Not feeling like going into discussion with him you change the subject. "So. Did you find out anything about the entrance?" Dark Pit nods and walks through the curtain of vines, entering that area with the stone that might have the key. He glances over at the book you are carrying. "What's that?" he asks. You show him the cover and put it down on a rock. "It has letters of thr greek alphabet, I thought that would come in handy."

You open it on the page with the Greek alphabet. "Let's start puzzling!" You say smiling. Dark Pit rolls his eyes and the both of you start translating the letters one by one, slowly revealing the text written on the stone.

"Power of Dunamis so rare it's forgotten, a key to places that long hold the rotten.

Strength like this could break the seal, its power ancient but so real."

You had to read it like five times before it made some form of sense. It's talking about some Dunamis, Palutena told you about a few. Pit has the one that makes your body more resistant. Other Dunamii you could get were being very strong or fast. In other words, then enhance your defence, attack or speed. You haven't heard about ancient Dunamii tho... Lady Palutena surely knows more about it, but you promised Dark Pit not to tell her. That's not helping...

Your eyes rest on Dark Pit's concentrated face. "I think we are gonna need Palutenas help for this-" you confess, Dark Pit has a stubborn look on his face. "If you tell her she'll just toss us aside and send her favourite angel Pit to solve it. Don't you understand?! She doesn't even know what I am capable off because she NEVER GIVES ME A CHANCE!" he slams the table and you notice his breathing got heavier. You keep your eyes tied to the ground, scared to make eye contact. "I thought... We thought you didn't want to help..." you say softly. Dark Pit combs his hand through his black hair. "I don't want to help Pit. He should know that I don't need him. That I'm just as strong, just as smart and just ask good as he is." His expression changes to a frown. "I'm not just some failed close. I used to be the best. Have you ever realised? Nobody is named Dark Pit, it used to just be Pit. But he stole that from me. Making fun of me like I'm an emotionless dark clone that he can toss around as he wants."

A few seconds of silence.

"I'm sorry." You finally dare look in his direction. He's crying. No sobs, just warm tears flowing downs his face. "I'm sorry that happened to you, Pit." You whisper. You know he was nothing before Pit looked in the mirror, but you never realised that may not be how he remembers it. He was cloned from Pit, including memories. He may have been supposed to be evil, but to him, he has always been Pit. The reason you weren't allowed to tell Palutena is that he wanted to prove himself. Not only to her but the whole world. He feels like he needs to prove he is worthy of existing. Not just a waste of space and food. Dark Pit's eyes are hidden behind his bangs, his jaw clenched together. "I'm sorry for bothering you, y/n. I'll go now."
With that he flies away, leaving you with the riddle and an overwhelming feeling of guilt.