Chapter 13

Maggie

I had lost count of how many days I had been locked up here. I didn't even know what day it was. All I could tell you was that it was light outside.

Everything I'd learned so far was that I was trapped with no way out. I'd searched more than once for something, anything like a crevice or seal, but nothing. Being a hostage was can I say, boring as fuck? In fact, I could probably memorize everything inside this room with my eyes closed.

But I couldn't do this anymore. I needed to get out of here. I wanted to see my mother badly. I didn't want to accept the fact that this was my future. I wouldn't.

My mother said to me repeatedly that I was a brave and strong girl, but right now I didn't feel like it. Not after what happened with Kang. After he left me, I was quivering and shaking with fear. and I hated feeling weak. That night, I was so afraid, and a part of me thought that I was going to die. I needed to get out of here because if I didn't, death would be the outcome. These people were bad people. Bad people who commit murder and other illegal things. They weren't people to mess with, and I had.

********************

The door opened sometime in the afternoon, and a cold shudder trickled down my spine when I saw who it was.

"Neoui abeojiga jeonhwa haess-eo." (Your father called.)

I frown. "I didn't know you could speak Korean?"

He grins. "There are many things you don't know about me, Maggie."

"Clearly."

Pause.

I watched every step he took, but tensed when he came to a stop at the very end of the mattress.

I peer up at him. "Why are you here? You're obviously not here to fuck me because you've not made a move on me. Not yet, anyway."

"I told you, your father called."

I frowned. "Wae nae abeojin jeonhwa haess-eo?" (Why did my father call you?)

A pause.

"Why you of all people?" I asked.

Another pause.

"I asked you a question. Answer it." I demand.

He sighed. "He's been keeping in touch with me."

Why would my father keep in touch with him?

"Wae?" (Why?)

"Because he knows you're here with us. I told him myself."

Silence.

I study him carefully. "It's you, isn't it?"

He remains impassive.

My jaw dropped. "You're my father's informant, aren't you?"

He nodded. "Ye." (Yes.)

I scoffed in disbelief.

"Were you surprised it was me? Do I play my part perfectly or should I be less mean?" He asked in amusement.

I ignored his questions. "Since when have you been his informant?"

"Yug gaewol jeon-e." (Six months.) He answered.

A man such as him working for my father? That was brave. Or maybe stupid? And yet, my father couldn't mention this in one of his letters?

"What the fuck is my father doing?" I murmured.

"His job."

I stand up and kick the mattress in my rage. "Then, where the hell is he!? Huh!? I can't take it anymore!"

"Patience. He's waiting for the right time, Maggie." He said softly.

I glared at him. "So, what are you? Some kind of spy?"

He half shrugged. "I guess you could call me that, yes."

"A spy." I shook my head and chuckled. "Do you realize that you're betraying your father's organization by working on both sides?"

He nods again. "Ne ihaehaessseubnida." (Yes, I understand.)

My eyes widened. "And you're okay with that? You're okay with betraying your own brothers?"

He rolled his eyes. "If I wasn't okay with it, I wouldn't be doing it, Maggie. But I'm looking out for you. You may not think that I am, but I'm always close by just in case you need me. I'm not like the others."

"But what exactly are you doing?" I ask. "You're not exactly helping me because I'm still here!"

Pause.

I raised a brow. "Well!?"

"I'm the reason you're still alive."

"What?" I asked.

"If it wasn't for me, you probably would've been dead by now."

I frowned. "I don't understand what you're saying."

He puts his hands in his pockets and looks behind him at the door. "Everyone wants you dead because you know too much."

I stuttered. "Dead?"

He nodded. "That's why I've come to see you. To warn you."

"Warn me about what?"

"I've been informed that there's going to be a test tonight." He said.

I hesitated. "A test?"

"Ye." (Yes.)

"What kind of test?" I asked.

He sighed. "Sometime tonight, one of my brother's will come and visit you, and you'll have to do whatever he asks you."

I scoffed. "You mean, rape me, right?"

He remained silent.

I shake my head in disgust.

"Maggie, it's a test to see if you have what it takes to become a dutiful prostitute, and be part of this organisation."

I started to laugh in hysterics. "A prostitute? No fucking way!"

His voice sharpened. "Then, you'll die. Is that what you want? Everyone here knows how violent you are."

I started chuckling hysterically.He continued. "That's why you're having a test, but if you show any violence, they'll kill you.""So that's it? They're the only options I have? Either spread my legs or get killed?"His face saddened. "Ye." (Yes.)

I scoffed. "I won't do it."

"Why?"

"Because this isn't what I want!" I shrieked.

"There is no other option for you. You must do it!"

I thrashed my head from side to side. "I'm not doing it! Just get me out of here, please!"

His voice rises. "I can't! It's out of my hands!"

"Please!" I begged.

He grabs me by the shoulders. "Look, I know you're going to hate every second of it, but if you want to survive, you'll have to go through with it. You're a strong girl. You can do this."

I couldn't speak.

"Trust me, it's the right thing to do."

"Is it?" I asked.

"Your father wouldn't want you dead, Maggie."

The mention of my father causes my eyes to water.

He continued. "Li Wei wanted you dead because you're too violent, and that you can't be trusted because of how much you know about our family, but because of somebody who I don't know, has managed to persuade the Dragon Head to give you a test."

"And nobody was going to tell me about it?"

He shakes his head. "I'm afraid not, no."

I released an exhale. "I'm grateful that you've come to warn me beforehand."

He smiled gently. "That's why I'm here. To keep an eye on you and report back to your father."

Another pause.

"Is he...?"

He finished my sentence. "Doing well?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Yes, he's doing fine, but he's angry that Li Wei has you."

"I'm glad he's okay." I murmured.

"You know, every time we talk, he wishes he could talk to you."

I sighed. "It's better this way because if I hear his voice, it would break me."

He smiles reassuringly at me for a few seconds, then turns around and heads for the door. "Good luck, Maggie."

"Gomabseubnida, (Thanks) I'm going to need it." I say under my breath.

"And don't use any violence." He puts his hand on the doorknob but stops and turns around. "And remember, it's for your own good."

"I know." I whisper.

He glances at me, gets ready to leave again, but this time it's me that stops him. "Wait."

"Yes?"

"Just because you work for my father, it doesn't mean I like you. I'll never forget what you and your brothers have done to me. Ever."

"I don't ever expect you to forgive me." He muttered.