3

Jennie had persistent trouble staying focused the rest of the week. She couldn't tell if she was dreading the approaching Friday... or anticipating it.
The size of the class dwindled significantly.

Readings were lengthy, assignments rigorous, but Jennie found the subject fascinating. And as intimidating as she was, Professor Park was a captivating and charismatic lecturer.

She was extremely well-versed and knowledgeable in her field, warranting her many accolades and respect amongst peers. The week flew by, Jennie almost forgetting about their post-class encounter on the first day...

"The other day my roommate was telling me how she knows a bunch of girls who tried to get favors outta Dr. Park if you catch my drift," Lisa spilled as she, Bambam, and Jennie walked out of their final class for the week, the weekend finally in their grasp.

For Jennie, this meant it was Friday and she had an important paper to turn in by the evening.

"Damn, either she's straight or she takes her job really seriously." Bambam chuckled but Lisa nudged him hard.

Jennie didn't react, more focused on what Lisa had said earlier. Jennie had wondered whether her circumstance was unique or if the professor enjoyed singling out students like her on the regular.

"It's not our place to speculate her sexuality," Lisa replied, shooting daggers that got Bambam to put his hands up innocently.

"But the latter is true. She's supposed to be our new president next year. God, I need a letter of recommendation from her. Imagine having a rec letter from the president of Wentworth University? I'd be a hot applicant to any med school."

"You got this," Jennie tried to encourage with a small smile, but eventually cringed at her effort.

She had always struggled with the social and emotional intimacy aspect of relationships - platonic or not.

"Says the girl who got to talk to her after class on the first day," Lisa responded, more in a more light-hearted way than condescending.

"Yeah, what the hell was that about, Jen?" Bambam interjected.

Jennie sighed. "Trust me, it's nothing to be commended for. I got a shitty grade on the pre-assignment and she just wanted to talk to me about it."

Jennie decided to omit the part about her rewritten extension.

"That sucks. She's seriously harsh for no reason. You got the rest of the semester to bring it up though. The midterm and final are worth like 50% of our grade." Jennie smiled at Lisa, grateful for the genuine encouragement.

Bambam made his attempt. "I got a pretty good grade on mine so if you ever need help, you can always hit me up - "

"Oh, please, Bambam. You always find a way to brag about yourself," Lisa retorted, catching the patronizing tone of Bambam's offer. Jennie couldn't stifle her laugh.

Bambam rolled his eyes. "Well, I was about to ask if you two were free tonight and wanted to be on the list for the Sigma Chi party tonight."

Both Jennie and Lisa's attention instantly perked up.

"Seriously?" Jennie asked, already exhausted from a week of classes. She had consistently allowed herself one night per weekend to let loose, allotting the rest to studying.

"Hell yeah. I also get a good rep with the frat for bringing in hot girls so it's a win-win here."

"Well, first tell your brothers I won't be interested in them," Lisa replied, throwing a wink in Jennie's direction. Jennie gave her a quizzical look. "We'll be there."