2.

"are you ready to go, ava?" el smiled and waited for her by the door. "coming!" she shouted as ava ran out.

"let's go," el grabbed her hand and shut the door behind them as they walked out.

"el," ava, her ten year old half sister whined, "will you pick me up after school?"

"of course," el smiled and swayed their hands.

ava leaned into her. "can i have a lollipop?"

el let out a laugh at her expression, glad that ava was there to cheer her up a bit. "later. you can have one tonight."

"got it," she grinned widely as they walked the whole way silently.

el finally stopped in front of ava's school. "have a good day, ava. i'll be back to pick you up," she leaned down and kissed her cheek.

ava smiled. "bye el!" she waved as she ran inside.

"bye, watch out! love you!"

"i love you!" ava shouted before disappearing and el straightened up before walking to her own school a few blocks down.

el walked in and headed to her locker, going to grab the books she needed that day.

"babe," leo walked up to her, making her flinch in surprise. "h— hi," she mumbled, closing her locker and locking it.

"you wanna go out on a date after school?" he asked as if nothing happened.

"what?" she asked in confusion.

"a date, el," he laughed, "after school.. what do you say?"

she looked at him, "we need to talk," she mumbled, walking away to an empty hall where he followed.

she stopped and turned as he leaned against the wall with a smirk. "what is it, babe?"

"i want to break up,"

"what!?" he shouted and turned to face her. "why!?"

"what do you mean why?" she asked, "i.. i think it's best if we break—"

"is this about the other night? i swear i didn't mean it, el. i was drunk and i could barely function," he said and grabbed her hands. "el, baby, please. i'm so sorry, i love you. give me a chance."

i love you. i'm sorry. give me a chance.

i love you.

el looked at him and their connected hands.

"don't.. don't do it again," she mumbled in defeat and he smiled widely. "i love you, of course," he told her and she smiled a bit, loving those words she never heard much.

"we're eating at the diner," leo said, dragging el in as el gasped quietly because he was pressing into the bruise he left on her.

thankfully she was used to wearing sweaters so no one would notice.

they sat down at a booth and picked up their menus to pick something out to eat.

"what did you decide on?" he asked as el smiled a little. "i'm probably going to get a burger and some fries,"

"seriously?" he asked.

she raised a brow. "what do you mean?" she asked in a soft tone.

"nothing, i just assumed you'll get a salad or something. you look like you gained a few pounds," he shrugged.