Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

"Welcome Auradon Veterinary Institute's graduating class. It is my honor and my joy to be able to see so many of you before me," Ben said as he spoke into the mic. "Animals are the companions that give use joy, that are the least judgmental creatures that we can have. Which is why they need the best possible care. They need people like yourselves who can advocate for them as they can not advocate for themselves. But to keep this speech from going too long as I'm sure you all have parties you'd rather be at, I'll let you go with a quote from A.A. Milne. 'Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.' You are the few who have chosen to listen. Listen well."

You know, Ben definitely has a way with words. It's almost as if he always had a book in his hand or something, Carlos thought with a wry mental chuckle as the dean prepared to pass out the diplomas. It was then that Carlos noticed the smirks on some of his classmates' faces. Wait...no, you guys aren't actually going to...

"Carlos De—!"

The dean was cut off by the sound of music beginning to stream through the speakers and Carlos groaned. During his studies, his classmates had introduced him to a kids' television show about two brothers and a black and white lemur who taught people about different animals.

Carlos' black and white hair had therefore earned him the nickname 'Zoboomafoo' from his classmates. Somehow, Jay and Harry had never learned that fact. Until now.

"When walking in the woods one day, Chris and Martin saw something strange. A little leaping lemur who liked to bounce and play!" One of Carlos' classmates began to sing with the music.

"I will kill you if you continue!" Carlos hissed, the flush on his face clashing with his black and white hair.

"They followed their new bouncing friend not knowing where this adventure would end, the animals were heading just around the bend," another classmate sang.

"Dear Gods..."

"Where're they going?"

"I don't know!"

"How do we get there?"

"Come on let's go! Me and you and Zoboomafoo, come along and see what's new! We're doing the things that animals do! New animal fiends to see, Animal Junction's the place to be! Elephants charging, baboons are leaping, wild dogs running and nobody's sleeping! Me and you and Zoboomafoo, come along and see what's new! We're doing the things that animals do! Me and you and Zoboomafoo, come along and see what's new! At Animal Junction we're waiting for you!"

Carlos was pretty sure he resembled a tomato as he crossed the stage and got his diploma from the Dean.

"I am so sorry," he whispered. "There was a bet involving class rank and—."

"We had a feeling it was something like that," the Dean chuckled. "Think nothing of it Mr. DeVil or should I say Doctor DeVil?"

Carlos smiled as he heard that and quickly took his seat back. Time flew by as he watched his classmates get their diplomas and soon Carlos was getting hugged by his friends and family.

"Congrats 'Los," Jay said, playfully punching Carlos in the shoulder.

"Thanks Jay," Carlos chuckled. "Where'd Ben go? Did he have to go and handle some paperwork or something?"

"Actually he's chatting with Edward Darling and Snow," Mal said. "It was the only way he'd agree to do the speech so soon after the twins' birth, after everything that happened with Stephanie. Apparently there's going to be an article run on the four of us, you know the Original VKs, so be prepared for an interview request Carlos."