Chapter 6.5 - A New Era

Start from the beginning

"So? What is it you wanted to ask me?"

"What's the meaning of you framing yourself as the traitor?"

"Oh, that. That's an interesting question. I suppose you can say it'll serve as a stepping stone for my transfer."

"There's more to it though, isn't there?"

"Who knows. One could say it's for research purposes."

"Fufufu research purposes, you say?"

"Just wait until the second year starts, then everything will make sense, Arisu."

"I see. I'll wait then."

"What are your plans as student council president?"

"I need to give that more thought."

"Hm... you're rather unprepared fufufu. I suppose you have time. If everything goes well, your reign as President will last three years, long enough to leave a significant impact on the school."

"Yeah. That's why I need to carefully think about how to go about things."

After I gave her her cup of coffee, we casually chatted. Arisu invited me to sit on my bed next to her. She told me about her visit to the White Room, and her father's relationship with mine. We exchanged some stories about our past. I told her about the time when I went to New York with that man to attend a conference.

"Kiyotaka, you know how I consider you a childhood friend? It's sad to think that that relationship is one-sided, isn't it? I knew you before, but you had no idea of my existence."

"It's not surprising though. There was no way I could meet you when I was inside the White Room."

"I suppose that's true. Say, Kiyotaka, do you consider me as a friend?"

"Arisu, you know I don't even know what friends are. How do you even define a friend?"

"It's something very complicated yet simple. You see, friendship isn't something you can quantitatively define. The dictionary would tell you that a friend is a person with whom you share a bond of mutual affection. However, the truth is that such a word has no real definition. That is why it is also quite simple. If you consider someone your friend, then they're your friend, no matter what."

"So it's quite subjective, huh."

"If I were to give a definition though, I'd say a friend is someone you can more or less trust, someone you feel comfortable around, and someone you're not afraid to honestly talk to."

A friend. I wonder if I'm even capable of being friends with someone. Can someone like me even have a genuine friendship?

I wonder.

However, I'd say Arisu fits that definition, but it's quite complicated, I can't quite comprehend. Is our relationship a normal friendship? Is it not friendship? Is it more than friendship?

"I'd say I consider you as my friend Arisu, but I'm not sure myself."

"I see. That's good to know, Kiyotaka," Arisu said as she grinned.