SOL...YWMA [Ch. 30]

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes. Courtney chuckled. "Wow, now everyone's going to ship you with Mark," she humored. "It amazes me how society always assumes you as lovers when they see two single, opposite sex hanging out together. For all they know, the two could be related," she expressed her thoughts on the matter.

"Speaking of relatives," I started, wanting to get off that topic. "How's Sandy after the breakup?"

Courtney sighed and scratched her elbow. "She's torn to pieces; as anyone would be if the love of their life dumped them," she told me. I nodded my head in understanding. "I always warn my friends to stay away from him, but they never listen," she added on as an afterthought, which made be curious.

"You never warned me to stay away from him," I acknowledged. Courtney shrugged her shoulders and glanced my way.

"Would've been hard seeing that the three of us basically grew up in the same house," she laughed. I joined in with my own chuckle. It's true, I steered clear of Cory's sexual ways up until senior year of high school.

That's when all this started happening between the two of us. It started with a silly pranked I pulled on him in class one morning. It makes me wonder how different things would be if I hadn't done that little stunt.  How different Cory and I would react around each other. I'd still be pushing him away with my usual "get away from me" gesture.

Who knows, really?

******

"Okay, here's the next one," Courtney announced as she twirled around in yet another wedding gown. This one, however, didn't flow like the others. It was fitted all the down until you get to the knees, then it turned into ruffles with a train behind it.

It was beautiful, just like the others.

"I still like the first one you put on," Sandy spoke. Yes, Sandy is with us, along with Andrea. The three of us are sitting on one of the soft, white, lush loveseats within the dressing room. The entire room is white, for some unknown reason. I guess to make it look more extravagant.

I turned to Sandy. Although she's talking and smiling, I can tell that she's putting up a front. I can see the distraught in her eyes that causes her smile not to reach them. Courtney twirled in the dress, well, tried, to twirl. The dress was so fitted that she couldn't even move her thighs when she walked.

"I like them all, except this one," Andrea comments, and I nodded my head in agreement. Courtney sighed and looked down at the dress.

"I like the top to this one, but the bottom to the fourth one," she confirmed, her face showing her disappointment. "It's like none of these dresses so far are screaming out to me. It's not here," she explained. And by it's, she means "The One". And by "The One", she means, her dream dress.

"You'll find the right one soon enough," I tried to reassure my best friend. She nodded her head before going to try on another dress.

I glanced at Sandy again, sitting to the right of me. She was fumbling with her fingers, seeming deep in thought. "How have you been?" I asked her cautiously. She looked at me, a little shocked for some reason.

She shrugged her shoulders before answering. "I think I fall in love too easily," she confessed, her faces held her disappointment in that realization.

"What makes you say that?"

"Because this isn't the first time I've gotten my heart broken," she explained. She suddenly turned her entire body, so she was facing me. "Have you ever fell in love accidently?"

My eyebrows shot up. I thought a moment before answering her with a yes. She smiled softly, happy to have someone else who's done the same thing.

"This...thing Cory and I have..." she trailed off, obviously trying to find the right words to say. I didn't miss the present tense she used either. "It started off as a fling. We were just having sex. Nothing more, nothing less. But then, we started doing other things. Like going places together, you know, actually spending more than just a night with one another. He'd call me up and invite me somewhere, and I'd do the same to him," she stopped. And in that moment I understood completely.